Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Walk-Through: Decorative Brass Heads For Tactile Switches

Thanks for the helpful instructions! This is just what I was looking for.

I'm having trouble finding a hex standoff that will work, is it possible to provide a link to some available online? Also, I wonder if there's any possibility of finding one in a blue anodized aluminum, such as the color in the picture below:

M12x1-5mm-21-Piece-Close-End-Acorn-Steel-Wheel-font-b-Tuner-b-font-font-b.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scyanix View Post

I'm having trouble finding a hex standoff that will work, is it possible to provide a link to some available online? Also, I wonder if there's any possibility of finding one in a blue anodized aluminum, such as the color in the picture below:

M12x1-5mm-21-Piece-Close-End-Acorn-Steel-Wheel-font-b-Tuner-b-font-font-b.jpg
    I don't think you'll find any anodized. Standoffs are used for circuit boards and are usually nickel plated or raw brass. You could always paint and clear coat them.

Have a look at Mouser or Digikey. I believe I used an M3. You can also use cap nuts which are easier to source. They'll give you a domed result.

I'm having trouble finding a hex standoff that will work, is it possible to provide a link to some available online? Also, I wonder if there's any possibility of finding one in a blue anodized aluminum...
    I found all sorts of spacers and standoffs at a local fastener shop. An electronics store might be a good place to look as well. However even if you do manage to find anodized ones, when you modify the piece there will be no anodizing in places that you've cut or sanded, so your best bet would be to have them anodized after modifying them or paint and clear coat like Darth Chasm mentioned.

Why isn't this a sticky yet? You just solved my problem before I knew I had one.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I don't think you'll find any anodized. Standoffs are used for circuit boards and are usually nickel plated or raw brass. You could always paint and clear coat them.

Have a look at Mouser or Digikey. I believe I used an M3. You can also use cap nuts which are easier to source. They'll give you a domed result.
    Cool, thanks! That makes sense, I'll either give the paint a try, or leave the natural brass finish. I plan to buy several to allow for trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    I found all sorts of spacers and standoffs at a local fastener shop. An electronics store might be a good place to look as well. However even if you do manage to find anodized ones, when you modify the piece there will be no anodizing in places that you've cut or sanded, so your best bet would be to have them anodized after modifying them or paint and clear coat like Darth Chasm mentioned.
    Awesome, thank you! I didn't even consider the anodizing being removed during the cutting and sanding process. Looks like I'll be getting a handful of brass ones to play around with.

Blog Entries

Awesome, thank you! I didn't even consider the anodizing being removed during the cutting and sanding process. Looks like I'll be getting a handful of brass ones to play around with.
    You can find aluminum standoffs and if you're feeling brave, you can do the anodizing yourself. After you've made the modifications first, of course. The set up wouldn't be too cumbersome either because you're dealing with very small pieces.

Is there any way you could upload the photos in the initial post again?
    It currently says "photo not found".
    Thanks for sharing your idea. It might be just what I'm looking for!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    Is there any way you could upload the photos in the initial post again?
    It currently says "photo not found".
    Thanks for sharing your idea. It might be just what I'm looking for!
    Hi Lilac, I'll see what I can do.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末