Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Walk-Through: Decorative Brass Heads For Tactile Switches

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by methos2523 View Post
    be careful gluing... tactile switches can be tricky things, if even a small amount of glue gets down inside the switch, it's going to screw it up

Heed this warning. Gluing can be done and in fact, it's how I did my last set of switches because I ran out of ones with tall actuators. Be sure to have extra laying around incase you goof. Fortunately they are not expensive.

If you're using my method here and have threaded holes in the caps, you should look to fill those with something to give the glue more surface to adhere to.

My ultimate suggestion is to just order some switches with the tall actuator if you can. It will make life easier and be much cleaner.

yup, tall switches are the way to go if you're decorating them...

easy to find on ebay or amazon in packs of 10 in case you mess up... always good to have spares around anyway lol

Blog Entries

Another little bit of advice if you do use the flat style. DO NOT fiddle with it or depress it until the glue is absolutely dry. If you do, you will absolutely seize the switch.

Thanks guys! I'll keep all of this in mind!

I'm working on some Madcow-esque switches for my current commissioned saber. I'm using these (pictured below) itty-bitty tactile switches because of limited space. They will have metal, probably brass, caps on them, like the ones you've demonstrated in this thread. The brass parts will be inserted once the hilt is threaded together, so I guess my best bet is to glue the brass bits on to the switches, but I really don't want to mess about with glue. I was also thinking of tapering the brass bits so that they don't fall out of the hilt, but I think they'll be too small for my lathe to do a good job. Do you, or anyone, have any alternative ways of keeping these from falling out of the hilt/ securing them to these tiny switches?
    This is the switch I'm using, and this is where it will be on the hilt. No part of the switch sticks out of the hilt. I chose these switches because I can assemble the hilt with them already installed, and the threads won't screw up the switch.
    10.jpg

Blog Entries

I've never done them in that area or in the way you're attempting. My best guess is glue may be one of a very, very few ways you can do it.

My last and current builds have them just under the LED mod, which made it incredibly easier to do. ~0.15" lower and you'd be good, but looks like the cuts are already there .

Keep me updated. Im interested to see what you come up with. Good Luck!

thats going to be a tricky one built into the actual thread area... i'll be interested to see what you come up with there as well

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that I'll just end up using the tiniest dab of glue on each switch.

if you're doing it that way, i'd test on a spare switch first... dot of glue on switch AND on the metal piece you're gluing, leave the glue to set for a few minutes until it's more jelly than liquid, then press the two together

you're less likely of getting runoff and ruining a switch that way than pressing them together while the glue is still liquid

Quote Originally Posted by methos2523 View Post
    if you're doing it that way, i'd test on a spare switch first... dot of glue on switch AND on the metal piece you're gluing, leave the glue to set for a few minutes until it's more jelly than liquid, then press the two together

you're less likely of getting runoff and ruining a switch that way than pressing them together while the glue is still liquid
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try that.