Thread: Ignis Canticum

Default Ignis Canticum

I acquired one of the new "Blade Builder" cheapie lightsabers on this past Force Friday. I spent most of the of the long weekend hacking it into a workable solution and building a hilt for it. Special thanks to Gnar-Gnar Gin and Ripper for constantly reminding me what can be done with PVC. I love seeing your work guys, keep it up! So without further delay, I present:

Ignis Canticum

Features:
    All PVC hilt
    Multi-stage paint with acrylic clear coat
    Sound (Hasbro "Blade Builder" economy board)
    Luxeon Rebel Red

I was trying to get this saber to look like it was made out of rough-cut and slightly worn iron pipe, like it was improvised or something. I hit it with several coats of two colors of Krylon rattle-can paint then sealed it with clear coat. The effect wasn't quite what I had in my head, it actually came out looking pretty clean! I decided I liked it anyway and pressed on with the build.

For anyone wondering, the new cheapie boards seem to behave exactly like the older ones did since as far back as the "Force Action" days. They did change to a 16 Ohm speaker, however, which I wasn't expecting. I wanted to drop in an 8 Ohm premium speaker that I had on hand, but I couldn't do that because I didn't have an 8 Ohm resistor in my parts stash. So, it's the stock speaker for now. It's working fine, but I'll probably want to upgrade that at some point.