Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Photon Green Blade Testimony

Council Member
    Jedi Master

We have actually found that the BBW's actually work better than the royal blues. The Fluorescin dye has a peak excitation wavelength of 495nm, whereas the Cree royal blue is 465nm, The shade is richer with the royal blue, but the normal blue Cree is brighter.

Also, to those that ordered Complete Photon blades from us (VV), MANY have shipped, and while, yes, we are behind on orders since we sold about 2 months worth of blades in 48 hours, you can imagine that we are a tad behind. All should be caught up and shipped this week however and many have already received theirs.
    Last edited by FenderBender; 09-06-2015 at 06:49 PM.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

My photon blade pics:
    CSS blade with photon round tip

Some pictures are in normal room lighting.

Video:
    I must fight this sickness.....

Quote Originally Posted by .: SparrowHawk :. View Post
    What's the deal with the pink blade? Is that another variation of the photonic blade?

Here's my own tinkering with a generic blue LED:

Haven't had the chance to try with a Cree blue, that's on my to-do list. Currently I prefer the color I get from the Cree Royal Blue in my converted Anakin.

Actual color of the blade when lit is somewhere between Green and a Rebel Lime. Kind of blends with whatever blue is used to light it. Without sanding the blade, it's got a really neat "inner core" look to it.

That cheapo blue I used gave it an aqua/cyan-ish core with yellow-green aura. The Royal Blue gave it a cool-white core with yellow-green aura. Stupidly bright in-person, giving off an almost-white light even though the blade is clearly green. Sanding the blade down for diffusion made the core less defined and the blade more green overall.

Has anyone tried these with a UV led yet? Seems like the results would be stellar.

Peak absorption for the dye in Photon blades is in the blue range, not UV. You'd still light up the blade, but not as brightly, and there would be a significant amount of UV leakage that could be bad for your eyes.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

The amount of UV (coming through a saber blade) of any reasonable wattage would be less than what you get from a nightclubs blacklights.

I'd still be careful about the particular wavelength of the UV LED you pick. Don't get the ones that are hazardous to vision.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yes.

I didnt realize they were designed to work with such a narrow band. If they are specifically designed to work with blues the best, UV's may well be lackluster. As long as they arent too far down the spectrum you should still get some results though.

Thick wall blade with Cree royal blue and standard blade diffuser. Im impressed.

photon test run by Simon Rivers, on Flickr
    Last edited by Arkanjel; 03-06-2016 at 06:15 AM.