Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A quick introduction and layout of my ideas for my first custom build

Question A quick introduction and layout of my ideas for my first custom build

Hello all, my name i phoenix, i'm 31 with two girls (one 9 and one turning 1 on the 27th) I live in Gravesend,Kent England. i've been seeing some amazing photos from conventions and my Eldest Tiffany has expressed an interest in going to one of the bigger conventions Ie Comic Con in london dress as a sith, of course this means we would need lightsabers, so i started asking questions with friends i know who have some and also going through google. unfortunately i am disabled and unable to work, so my funds really aren't able to cover some of the amazing designs that i've seen out there. I decided to speak to my dad who lives in manchester about the possibility of using his lathe and tools when i next come up to visit and possibly getting him to help me create my own, to my shock he sends me a pic of spare alli that he has had on his floor for the last 5 years and starts experimenting with it, after i explain to him in a bit more detail that it would have to be modular after looking over some of the designs he starts to cut what he made into parts and add brass for different parts, So at the end of that rather long boring (for you guys sorry) story, i know with some though and proper measurements a hilt made by me and my old man is doable, so as of monday i have been again attacking youtube, google and here for information. i must admit to being completely lost and confused. looking through the web shop and reading some of the sticky topics on here, i know i would like to incorporate a Guarded switch style, but i see these are moment switches, wouldn't i want one that stays on after being pressed? as for the LED it self, i am awear i would have to buy the thermal tape and the colour and lens (cover) of my choice, but to jump into a swimming pool before being able to swim, i was wondering if it was possible to have 3 colours? for example, Blue, Red, Purple, My character has always had 1 blue (left hand) and one purple (right hand) but was thinking how cool it would be to put the two sabers together into one to make a staff saber, now the colours would look naff like that, so the ability to unify them would be awesome. Also i was looking though the power hoices in the this thread http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ke-a-LED-saber and i think i would choose option 2, would this be the best choice or not?

personally in general, i would like to build the internal chassis like one of the videos i have seen, either battery pack or a rechargeable battery that can stay inside as i have seen in some videos, but it's more of a case of choosing the speaker and parts tbh.

At the end of the day, even if it a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th saber we (my dad and i) have to build so i know what i am doing, the final outcome would be two sabers that are identical, one purple, one blue that could connect in the middle if i wanted to use a staff saber, Have the effect of the blade growing as being turned on and visa versa, have the sound effects of the clashing, humming power effects. (possibly even an mp3 music for the lolz)

i hope i have made some sense and this post hasn't been offensive to any one or a complete waste of time, so again thank you all very much for taking the time to read this, and i hopefully can get the parts i need/want and the help to get me started. i will also post pics of what has been done so far so you guys can see in another post, Thanks

I would just like to add this was before we had even looked into the electronic side of things so nothing will probably fit, this was just my dad experimenting

A spare bit of Ally that's been sitting on the floor for the past 5 years is finally getting used

Let the attacking Commence!!!

As you can see the grip has come out Really nice and with ease

The Start of the Boring processes, most of the saber is hidden in the chuck, this is where the Pommel will attach

Band saw attacking a lump of brass which will become the Pommel

6 small holes drilled into the pommel, and then lathed the top layer out to give an indentation effect

Finished Pommel (all modular with screw threads for easy access)

Starting work on the Blade Emitter, or possibly just an extension

Saber at the point we are now

That's some fine work to do from scratch. I don't know the ID of your saber, but it's not hard to fit a Nano Biscotte in a saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

may i ask what you mean by ID?

Beautiful photos of the workplace! I get a sandcrawler vibe. Very impressive saber so far too.

ID = Internal Diameter.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

To be honest i'm not sure what the ID is i would have to ask my old man, this wasn't meant as anything but a test bed, but it looks like it has worked, so the blade hole needs to be 1" i believe, but once i can sort out all the insides i need and get them all shipped or sourced to/from the uk i can start working on a proper modular hilt

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Wow, I wish i knew someone like your dad! Those are some really nice scratch-built pieces!

what im looking for at the moment is some information so i can start getting the right bits for lighting and sound effects, even if it isnt for the hilt and i make another when im up there

If you check out TCSS' youtube channel, there are a lot of awesome vids that show you step-by-step how to build all different types of setups for light and sound. The videos also links all the parts used from the TCSS shop.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCustomSaberShop/videos