Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Design for my next PVC saber

Default Design for my next PVC saber

here is the design i have been working on for my next saber. i plan on using PVC since i have most of the items i need to complete it, except for some of the electronics. Also this is my first time using Autodesk 123D to render a saber in 3D. comments welcome

pvc saber.jpg

Blog Entries

Cool another 123D user.

saber looks good. Nice and simple. It does feel a bit short proportionally. Is that your intent?

Saber looks good.
    I'm impressed you were able to get 123D to work. I've had no success... Then again, I can't get Sketchup to work either.

It took me hours of playing sith it to figure it out. Yeah it is a bit short. I want the toral length about 10".There wont be sound so don't have to worry about space. Still not sure if this will be the design I actually use.
    Last edited by Thalan the Exiled; 09-01-2015 at 06:25 PM.

ok so i have been playing around with 123D and i think i have a design i really like. now the color scheme is probably not gonna end up like in the photo since it will be hard to get PVC to look like copper. But i will try to find a way to get it as close as i can because i think this one looks very slick. it is simple and sithy and i love it. With a amber or red/orange blade i think this will be a winner

1.jpg

Nice renders and design! I like the newest concept too, very Sithy. For the copper, you could try a spray enamel paint like Testors makes, I've used Testors Mettalic Copper 1251T before on models before with very good shiny results. Or you could pick up some hobby-sized copper sheets at a hardware store like Lowes and shape them around the PVC, hiding the seam somehow within the design. Might be easier with the paint though.

Wish I could render a shiny blade as well. If someone knows how to do that let me know

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    Wish I could render a shiny blade as well. If someone knows how to do that let me know
    Shiny or glowing? Shiny you can do in 123D with a metallic material and a color overlay. Glowing you'll need a different 3D package like Blender or Cinema 4D. Or you could do it in Photoshop if you have it.

You can try copper leaf as an option. Check out my pics here to get a look http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d-Lots-of-Pics

All the copper you see is leafing over aluminum. It will work on plastic too. There are plenty of vids online for you to learn how. It's not difficult at all.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 09-01-2015 at 09:38 PM.

the other thing i would love to figure out is how to turn a piece of PVC. like a lathe. i want to be able to do the groves in a 1.25" PVC pipe. i don't want to have to try and cut a bunch of super small pieces and glue them to a 1" pipe. i would much rather the pieces with the groves be a solid piece. so if anyone can explain how to do them or link a site that can i would greatly appreciate it. my skills with a rotary tool aren't good enough to try and cut them out, but i have done some basic lathe work on wood. i was thinking if i could figure a way to get it turning i can use files to grind out what i need.

Ok now i am just having to much fun with this program. wish they could implement something like it into the MHS builder. Would love to be able to build in 3D with MHS parts. well here is another option i have come up with.

123.jpg