Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lite Whip

Why not just double or triple up on the EL wire then use some clear heat shrink tubing?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That could work, though not everyone knows where to get clear heat shrink. I do, my local electronics store (not Radio-Shack) carries it in 4' lengths and various sizes.

You also have to keep in mind that most battery powered inverters that are small enough to work for this, like the one in the store here, are only rated to power up to 20' of wire. If you used 3 strands, you could only go to about 6.5 feet.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Personally, I highly doubt even if you can get the handle set with the right compnents like the usual sabers, I doubt you could get the saber lighting affect. I am not saying its not possible, as the light can't really bend to follow the whip.

If it was able to, the LED wouldn't be as bright as with the saber.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Um, we're not talking about using LEDs, we're talking about EL wire.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member
    TCSS MODERATOR

when i was at skycraft a few weekends ago they had some large gauge EL wire, I mean the el part was probably 1/8-1/4 of an inch in diameter, and the clear tubing around it was pushing 1/4-1/2 I should have grabbed some calipers off the shelf and measured it. It was very bright and required a decent size inverter, but that could easily be hid in a large hilt or have the whip plug into a belt pack. The clear protective tubing could be lightly sanded to diffuse the light. It would be flexible, but you would have to be gently with it .

I <3 Mako

I don't know why no one's ever tried this, but how about fiber optics? They're incredibly flexible, they never fade from bottom to top, and they look awesome. I know it's a noobish question, but still.
    I refuse to accept your reality and substitute it with my own.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It would have to be side glow cable, or you'd just get points of light only at the ends, and I don't think it's very flexible.

Plus you have to have a very powerful light source if it's going to be bright. Luxeons don't really work all that well with this, so it wouldn't be portable.
    TCSS MODERATOR

first lots of people have tried it and done it, this thread is just to hypothesize on how to do it better. second, fiberoptics isnt very flexible, true fiberoptics requires certain safety boundries of how much of an angle it may be bent at

I <3 Mako

What about using some clear medical tubing? It's flexible and has high durability and you can usually find rolls of the stuff at medical warehouses. Then you'd be able to use some of that large gauge el wire tradeliphine was talking about.