Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lite Whip

Council Member
    Sith Lord

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/fo...opic.php?t=339

linky for what xwing was talking about^^^^^
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

yea that fiber optic stuff would work really good but it would be considerably heavy, if the fiber optic cable is as heavy as the TCSS blades, PM tetmatek and ask him how much it weighs.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

why not just use a neon jump rope?

Default Light whip

It can be done. These are EL wire wrapped around a flexible tube. They're not mine though.

Sideglow cable tends to be too stiff I've found. At least the stuff I play around with.

Corbin

A few years ago at Burning Man someone brought lightwhips to the saber fight. He was a very good fighter and kind of a terror to behold and (and this is a point to keep in mind) those things HURT!

He was using flexible colored plastic with LEDs in the base. Not nearly as bright as a LUX but they stood out quite well against the cheap $1 toy sabers that were the majority.

Not sure I could recommend these for dueling. Flail weapons are mighty dangerous and infamously hard to keep in control, but very very cool.

I may just get a leather belt with a scrolling LED buckle. Still hurts like hell to be smacked with it & it lights up!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

In the picture that Corbin posted, it looks like the guy used electrical whips (used for lighting mostly). The are flexible, but if there is nothing in them, they will split because it's basically aluminum tube that's in a big spiral the length of whatever you are using. They would work as a prop, but I don't know how they would stand up in a fight.

Hi guys and gals
    If I remember correctly, they used a silver rubber hose like you have on your removable shower head, then wrapped it with EL wire. I could be mistaken though. That's what I seem to recall them saying however.
    As to the durability of it lasting in actual combat, I can't imagine EL wire would like hitting something very much. From my understanding of EL wire (feel free to jump in here J-LO), all colors but the green are coated with a type of "paint" to get whatever color they want (red, blue, etc). That's why the green tends to be brightest (plus our eyes are more sensitive to green). I'm not an expert on EL technology though, so I'd differ to someone more knowledgeable in that area.

Corbin

In terms of a battle, it'd be pretty ridiculous to mess with someone with any kind of whip (let's take blasters/guns off the table for a second).

You can TRY to parry with a saber, but... it's really all about luck if you're able to do so for 2 or 3 moves, get in and hit. Trying it without a mask would just be INSANE too, especially if the whip was practical in any way (able to be used!).

If you don't trust me, try it. Give your untrained buddy a cloth-ish/nylon rope. Decently long. You wear a fencing mask or whatever and some long sleeves. You have a saber prop. Stand back. Go. If you don't get hit AT ALL (and remember that's just a ROPE) and you can do it 3 times in a row, that would impress me to see on film.

I don't think hardly a single person alive could do it unless it was choreographed though!

But whips are neat for exciting a fun "twirly" props. Or "snappy" if they're true whips and all that jazz.

I think those EL guys look GREAT! Too bad whacking 'em might cause damage... d'ohhhhhh....
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    In terms of a battle, it'd be pretty ridiculous to mess with someone with any kind of whip (let's take blasters/guns off the table for a second).

You can TRY to parry with a saber, but... it's really all about luck if you're able to do so for 2 or 3 moves, get in and hit. Trying it without a mask would just be INSANE too, especially if the whip was practical in any way (able to be used!).

If you don't trust me, try it. Give your untrained buddy a cloth-ish/nylon rope. Decently long. You wear a fencing mask or whatever and some long sleeves. You have a saber prop. Stand back. Go. If you don't get hit AT ALL (and remember that's just a ROPE) and you can do it 3 times in a row, that would impress me to see on film.

I don't think hardly a single person alive could do it unless it was choreographed though!
    Nova speaks the truth!

One of the strengths of whip/flail type weapons is that it is REALLY hard to protect yourself against. Add that to the increased momentum and you have a very dangerous toy, for yourself and others. I really can't recommend taking one of these into a dueling situation unless your opponent is quite prepared and you have practiced quite a bit yourself. As the old saying goes: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Of course all warnings aside when I faced a whip wielder in the desert I certainly didn't back down... and I carried the welts to prove it for days