Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First Saber project - "Equinox"

I know I keep changing the design but here are pics of the latest and greatest! Best part though is I'm actually starting to cut parts for this one so I'm feeling pretty good. I'm going with a primarily PVC chassis to hold the NBv4 soundboard, 18650 Battery and battery holder, and 2W bass speaker. The plan is to step the PVC down to secure the LED module at the end of the chassis and then slide an aluminum blade holder over the LED module for better heat rejection. Then everything will be covered up by a simple, yet elegant, shroud. The momentary tactile switch will sit inside a custom activation switch cover that will be secured underneath the shroud. Wires will then feed from underneath the shroud, into the chassis and back to the soundboard.

Any thoughts about covertec versus Kobold D-ring? I'm leaning D-ring but thought I'd ask just to see.

MTFBY!

Cutaway Layout.jpgFront View.JPG3D View - Chassis (2).JPG3D View - Chassis (3).JPG3D View - Chassis (1).JPG3D View.JPG
    Last edited by Shiblon Vars; 11-10-2017 at 01:20 AM.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

Quote Originally Posted by Shiblon Vars View Post
    I know I keep changing the design
    It's a hobby, have fun with it.

I think your design looks great, and is definitely well thought out. Good job.

That is very similar to my 26650 Kylo Ren hilt/chassis I made out of 1" ID Pipe. Although mine was butcher milled, because its on the inside. It would be nice to someday make a proper one.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Okay, time to check the wiring diagram. Any takers? Thank you to FJK for the tutuorial on sizing resistors (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law) Also thank you to the comments on http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Power-Xtender. They were also very helpful.

SVLB-001 wiring schematic.jpg

Does everything seem correct? I've got 3.7V from my battery. For R1, I'm calculating 0.3 Ohm, 0.3 W. I'm going to use a 0.47 Ohm, 0.5 W resistor from TCSS for this (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/47...stor-P947.aspx). For R2, I'm calculating 0.55 Ohm, 0.55 W. I'm not sure what to use here because there doesn't seem to be a good fit in the store and I don't want to undersize it by using the same resistor as R1. Any recommendations? Thank you for any comments!
    Last edited by Shiblon Vars; 11-25-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

Rob calls it horse shoes and hand grenades. Meaning just get the resistor close.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 11-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks Jediseth. I had forgotten Rob made that video about resistors. I'll go watch it again.

Well, over the last year I decided to go back to the drawing board (more-or-less) and have once again revamped the design. Maybe this time it'll stick. I'm feeling really good about this look. It incorporates elements of the Skywalker lightsaber, Vader's lightsaber and some other elements as well. Wiring will remain relatively the same as detailed before. Enjoy!

SVLB-001_Image 001.JPG
    SVLB-001_Image 002.JPG
    SVLB-001_Image 003.JPG