Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Saber project - "Equinox"

I definitely like the updated version better, although I think your thumbscrew is going to prevent you from using your covertec knob if you have them lined up that way. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you want your covertec knob on the emitter side rather than pommel side?
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I placed the covertec at the top because I didn't see there being enough room at the bottom with the grips. I also thought it would be a nice nod to the Darth Vader ANH hilt. It was attached to the belt at the top as well.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

I gotcha. I would rather use a D-ring/Tri-ring on the pommel or just interrupt the grips with a covertec but it's all good. Different strokes for different folks. I would still move the knob or thumbscrew 90? away to make sure it'll still be usable.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I like the layout you made for this. It's wicked awesome.

Well, I've made little progress since last post. I've had to put the "Equinox" build on hold. I have made progress with a PVC saber that I am designating "Heritage". See attached concept image and build pics thus far for my Heritage saber. With any luck, I should have at least the visible portion of the hilt done in time for Force Awakens. Probably won't have any electronics done in time but thats okay.

PVC Saber_Heritage_001.jpgWP_20151107_13_53_51_Pro.jpgWP_20151107_13_53_57_Pro.jpgWP_20151107_13_54_11_Pro.jpg
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

Its been a few months since posting last. Thought that I would share an update as I continue to work out design concept. See image below.

20160304_Heritage Saber prgoress.jpg

Shown on top in the image is a basic concept for my saber. All PVC construction, 1 1/4" outer tube with 1" inside tube. The dark grey tube cutaway below show blocks representing different components that will go inside a custom PVC chassis built into the 1" inside tube. From left to right, 18650 cell battery holder with NBv3 on top, LED module for 1" ID tubes, and 2" blade insert.

Hope you enjoy!

So its been about a year and not a whole lot of progress has been made. Revised the design a few times and finally settled on a look that I'm comfortable with making. Got the initial PVC pieces cut out tonight for the main body of the hilt. See attached images for the redesigned concept and what I have so far. My son also wanted a picture of him playing with the hilt in progress. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.09.49 AM.jpg
    IMG_20170321_001509.jpg
    IMG_20170321_001525.jpg

Nice design...love your blueprint!
    I think you might want to move the cover tech to the other end of the hilt. It will not likely engage the belt clip with the blade retention screw so close. And may be restricted in movement as well.

Why not consider using the covertec as your blade retention screw, instead of a curved bottom to the covertec leave it flat or make it flat, don't drill all the way through it, drill and tap the bottom and attach a threaded screw, and countersink the shroud so it fits flat. That way you could use it to retain your blade and use it as a covertech attachment. Hope that made sense... it did to me.. LOL

Can't wait to see how it turns out....
    Last edited by k6gad; 03-21-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Another update. Hoping to start making parts for the hilt later this week. The images aren't complete but give an idea of the direction I'm finally heading down. The intent is to make an internal hilt that can be slid in and out of the hilt for easy battery replacement and access to the SD card. Going to be using a NBv4 for this build with a RbBW Tri-Cree LED. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue7ej8709p...01-01.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7881y6cx8x...01-02.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Shiblon Vars; 08-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.