Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Saber project - "Equinox"

Default First Saber project - "Equinox"

So I have finally decided on a concept for my first saber since joining the forums. See the attached image below. I haven't decided for sure if I will do metal or PVC. I'll figure that out as soon as I determine budget. Just wanted to share my ideas. Enjoy!

CloudSix-Hilt Concept #005.jpg

I like this concept. It would be sweet making it all out of aluminium but PVC might be easier for you. Even as a machinist some of that would be tricky...

If those colored slots are blade windows, you're not leaving much room for electronics.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Nice. They look like some sort of grip strips idea to me though
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Actually, the intention was for the colored slots to be crystal chamber windows. Miraluka, I get what you are saying about the electronics fitting. I'll take a closer look at things as I make progress on the design. If need be I'll revise the saber's aesthetics to accommodate how things fit inside. And of course I'll post any updates I make. Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, I like short hilts but they can be a pain depending on what you're trying to put in there. Sometimes compromises need to happen, unfortunately.
    ERUDITION

Tis true. The hilt as currently shown measures just over 12" long and about 1.6" in diameter. Again I'm still working with the numbers as I look at options and determine what I ultimately will use to construct the saber.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

I didn't realize you were planning on it being that big around... being 12" long, you should be fine to have the chamber in there.
    ERUDITION

I like the design, very elegant! And the plug/port towards the blade holder is a nice nod the the original graflex pins. In my experience, PVC can be a great, inexpensive, and flexible material. The downside is the wall thickness of most PVC (say schedule 40) doesn't leave a whole lot of room for the sound card and battery. But it can be done! Looking forward to the build progress.

Well, I've made some progress over the past couple of weeks. Here is an updated image of the saber design. For now I am planning on making this saber out of metal. I may still go back and develop a design out of PVC but we'll see. I feel like I'm almost where I want to be with the aesthetics. Next phase will be to work out the electronics. Enjoy the update.

20150910_Hilt Design_Equinox.jpg
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"