Thread: Band Saw

Default Band Saw

I've been looking at band saws on craigslist because there's lots of cutting that I'm doing with my Dremel, and it's just not always clean and straight. I'm thinking a band saw might do a lot better for a lot of my cuts. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether this is actually a good tool to use, and what kinds of saws/blades are preferred?

Depending on the types of cuts I'm doing, I will often use a chop saw with a metal cutting blade. I have used a band saw in the past as well.

I highly recommend getting the flex shaft attachment for the Dremel. It'll improve your Dremel-fu skill by +50 instantly!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

For crosscuts I use a hacksaw where possible, and the dremel with the flex shaft for rip cuts. You have to be patient, go slow and let the tool do the work. Don't force it. You can always clean up a rough cut with a file (which also takes patience)...

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    For crosscuts I use a hacksaw where possible, and the dremel with the flex shaft for rip cuts. You have to be patient, go slow and let the tool do the work. Don't force it. You can always clean up a rough cut with a file (which also takes patience)...
    QFT...and patience is a necessary skill in this hobby anyway.

I assume the band saw would be better for curved cuts, yes? A lot of what I'm pondering is shroud work, so there would be some "creative" cuts going on.

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    I assume the band saw would be better for curved cuts, yes? A lot of what I'm pondering is shroud work, so there would be some "creative" cuts going on.
    Correct. Band saws are great for curved cuts. You could definitely get some nice curves with the band saw but it might be a little more difficult cutting curves on a cylindrical piece than you would say a sheet. You can great curves with a dremmel as well.

This shroud here I cut to length with a miter/crosscut saw, cut the curves with a dremmel and cutting wheel, then finally smoothed the evened out the edges with a sanding drum.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker