Thread: New to site and sabers, starting with a maglite build

Default New to site and sabers, starting with a maglite build

Ok so I may not be a permanent fixture here but I figure I have a lot to learn so best to get to know some knowledgeable folks first.
    My plan is to build a simple Maglite saber for my 7 yr old son.
    Starting with a 2D standard Maglite in gunmetal grey.
    I was going to go the 2C route but the parts are all out of stock.
    I was thinking of taping off all of the tube except the knurling and spraying on a rubberized coating like plasti-dip, anyone tried that?
    So far Im planning on a short, thick-walled blade, how heavy are these things?
    Im going with a round tip for safety.
    Suggestions on the best way to achieve color?
    • Colored tube
    • Clear tube with colored disk
    • Translucent tube with colored disk
    • Should I use film?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

welcome
    - try thin-walled tube its much lighter and there is almost no chance of it breaking.
    - A colored tube is a good way to go. It might have a brighter blade over a disk filter. I don't know since I have not used them. However. 1) there are no colored tips to match 2) It will always be that color. part of the mystique of these sabers over the Hasbro style toys is that the clear blades with the foil in them do not show color unless ignited, instead they look rather metallic.
    - A disk filter will reduce the brightness. I'm tempted to say it will be slight but brightness can be very subjective AND its hard to get a good idea about it from just pictures on the web.
    - I Think the general consensus is that several feet of film will make the light spread more evenly

Plastic Dip apparently wears off the hilt rather quickly. I've had good experience with Tennis Overwrap. I've seen mention of using 1.5" heatshrink.

Colored tube will look best in the day time. Even with a bright LED, sunlight tends to wash out non-colored tubes.

Filters can work for light colors like Yellow, but you'll significantly dim the blade for richer reds and blues. If you do some searching online, you might be able to find a maglite compatible colored LED.

Ok so if I use a colored tube on a maglite with an LED upgrade should I use a diffuser tube, poly wrap or blade film?
    Im still not clear on the differences between the film and the gift wrap.
    In the store it says the film give the illusion of a core, does the wrap not do this?
    I understand the wrap is to diffuse the light to make it more even.
    If I use a diffuser tube should I still use blade wrap?

Sorry to sound so ignorant but I have been scouring and reading, still haven't found a definitive description.