Thread: New Wiring Diagram/Wiring check for RGB PC 3.5 with Recharge and RICE ports

Lightbulb New Wiring Diagram/Wiring check for RGB PC 3.5 with Recharge and RICE ports

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while and reading the user manual for the Petit Crouton. I was fortunate to get one of them and before I start soldering everything I was wondering if this looked sound. I've seen similar wiring diagrams throughout the forum and in the user manual, but I wanted to make one that was easier for me to understand and had the wiring for everything I planned to do...

So, does it pass the accuracy test? And the aesthetic test

The diagram looks good. However, I am concerned about your battery choice. The 14500 packs do not have the "juice" to really run the Tri-Crees if you plan on doing color mixing and such.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    The diagram looks good. However, I am concerned about your battery choice. The 14500 packs do not have the "juice" to really run the Tri-Crees if you plan on doing color mixing and such.
    I run into problems with the hilt though... when it comes to storage. I'm essentially upgrading a stunt saber that used to just be an LED, a latching switch, a 4AAA Pack and a resistor.

Do you think it would be better to modify the board to accept 3.7v and use a 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery or something similar? using the 7.4v 18650 pack is right out as it's too long.

Edit: I'm assuming that Item # PANBT and PAN18650P are both PCB Protected, just one has a JST Connector on it, correct?
    Last edited by MontyBMan; 08-10-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Adding question

You could either use the 14650 pack OR do the hack. There are pluses and minuses to each.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I can see where you're coming from there. From what I've seen the PC can run reliably using a single cell 3.7v 18650. I'll probably just end up using a 3.7v 18650 or if I can find a way to fit it I'll try the 7.4v 18650 pack.

I can see where using an 800 mA battery would run down quick, since it needs to drive the soundboard as well as three LEDs.

I'll see where my build goes from there and adjust my resistors accordingly... thanks for the help

Updated Wiring diagram, should be 100% accurate but please critique if anything ends up sticking out as wrong. I would just edit the first diagram but both have their merits.

Last edited by MontyBMan; 08-12-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: need to edit image

Looks Ok. Obviously as we have previously discussed, the resistors will depend on the battery solution you ultimately decide to use. I also take it your switches are not using any type of LED?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Right, the switches are the little momentary technical switches mounted inside the hilt, so no need to resistor those as they don't have any LEDs. Thanks for the feedback FJK