Thread: PCv3.5 Overheating

Default PCv3.5 Overheating

Hello! I've got a PC3.5 second-hand that seems to be running really hot in the area indicated by the soldering tool in this pic:
    board top.jpg

I did a (quick) sketch diagram of the wiring, but hopefully the pics of the actual board setup will reveal something I've overlooked.

I'm using a TCSS 14650 7.4V battery to for a GGW tri-Cree XPE-2.
    The greens are in series from the main LED pads (channel one) and are regulated from the board settings.
    The white LED has two resistors in series for a 4.50-ohm rating (should run 3.1V at around 900mA).

Other than the apparent component overheating, the board and all components function as I'd intended. I'll post the override file below for your review. As an early troubleshooting technique, I reverted the fonts and CONFIG files to stock LM and DM fonts with stock settings as they come from Plecter Labs. I have also changed out the battery with an 18500 to rule out the battery as the issue (unlikely cause, I know, but easy to check.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Pics, diagram, and Override settings follow:
    Wiring Diagram.JPG

overview - underside.jpg

board bottom.jpg

hot spots indicator.jpg

Override File Settings:
    ## Override File
    vol=4
    beep=30
    valsnd=1
    switch=2
    offp=0
    offd=300
    lc=350
    hs=200
    ls=50
    i=54
    swing=200
    clash=150
    lockup=350
    focmix=001
    ## Color profiles
    color0=900,0,0
    fcolor0=200,0,600
    color1=600,0,750
    fcolor1=700,0,100
    color2=700,0,500
    fcolor2=0,0,800
    color3=700,0,500
    fcolor3=600,0,100

I'll have Zook come to take a look as well, but that part "heating up" is somewhat normal. These boards do get warm especially with everything you guys try to run off of them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I'll have Zook come to take a look as well, but that part "heating up" is somewhat normal. These boards do get warm especially with everything you guys try to run off of them.
    That would be great news; and hearing that you think so is a real relief.a. Hopefully Zook can confirm. (I've beeen racking my brains over this. I know I'm pulling a lot of current, but it's well within tolerances in the manual since in fact a GGW Cree used in this way is an examplein in the manual.)

Thanks again.
    So certain are you; always with you it cannot be done.
    Hear you nothing that I say?

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc...deTutorial.pdf
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Hardware-Saber
    ---------------------

The boards typically do run warm, I'm just not sure how "warm" your particular one is.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    The boards typically do run warm, I'm just not sure how "warm" your particular one is.

Yes, warm is one thing, and hot is okay. But this heat level seems high enough to cause component damage. If you all don't see any obvious problems with my wiring or setup, I'll just use the board as though it is acting normally and see if it fries itself with normal use. If so, I'll I'll know it was a faulty board and destined to fail, and if not, then I'll worry less in the future about such things.

But first I have to make sure that my wiring and setup are not the problem.

So before I take that "devil may care" attitude and just chance it, I really wanted the community's expertise to put eyes on it. I'll stand by for now and wait for a clearer verdict.
    So certain are you; always with you it cannot be done.
    Hear you nothing that I say?

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc...deTutorial.pdf
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Hardware-Saber
    ---------------------