Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which product to use to brown aluminum?

Default Which product to use to brown aluminum?

Hi, I would try to use the product of Birchwood Casey Super Blue to brown the hilt.
    Can you tell me if the blueing solution get the result on aluminum? Or should I use the Aluminum Black? And once you do the work, I have to use a product to protect or maintain the results for a long time?
    As always, I am grateful for your support !! Thanks!

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure super blue is for steel and alloys. Aluminum black will give varying degrees of black in accordance to how much you apply and how long you let it sit before neutralizing it. Neither is going to give you a brown patina.

Make sure to wear gloves, eye protection and a dust mask. The stuff is pretty nasty.

Yes, you'll need to seal it if you do not want it to wear away.

You can see my post here to get a view of what a light to medium application looks like. I have not sealed it yet as I want some of it to naturally wear away first.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 08-08-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Sorry , I made a mistake in translating question: I would like to have exactly the result of the Super Blue . Can I use it on aluminum ?

Blog Entries

I have not used super blue on aluminum, but the product specifies it is for hardened steel, nickel and chrome. I don't think it will work on aluminum the way you want it to.

You could look into anodizing or paint solutions that may give a similar effect.

OK! Thank you, I sometimes painted aluminum. I'm curious to try to use the Aluminum Black.

Blog Entries

You're welcome. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Buona Fortuna.

I've used slate black to get a brown finish on my first built. The resulting color can vary a lot depending on how you prepare your part (cleaning and sanding). Experiment on scrap aluminum before you try it on your saber parts.
    Last edited by Rawdo; 08-09-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Correcting the autocorrect.. :/

Thanks for your contribution! But how did you use ? What kind of Slate did you use? And the result is that you have obtained definitive or delete ?

Google "slate black patina" and you'll find it easily.

image.jpg

To get that I cleaned well with soap to remove any grease, light sanding with 200 or 400 grit paper.
    Experiment with patina solution dilution and reaction time.
    Be careful working with acidic solution and use protective eyewear and clothing, even diluted they will bite.!
    You can see the result on my actual saber in the gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawdo View Post
    Google "slate black patina" and you'll find it easily.

image.jpg

To get that I cleaned well with soap to remove any grease, light sanding with 200 or 400 grit paper.
    Experiment with patina solution dilution and reaction time.
    Be careful working with acidic solution and use protective eyewear and clothing, even diluted they will bite.!
    You can see the result on my actual saber in the gallery.
    That looks brilliant. Well done.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.