Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blowing of steam

Angry Blowing of steam

I just wrecked my NB. I'm really cranky right now. My hands are shaky, so I can't solder worth a damn. I don't know what to do with half of the parts that I have. I'm seriously thinking of throwing my tools and parts away and writing this off as a bad idea for a hobby.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

How did you wreck your NB?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Throwing away good tools and parts is never a good idea
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I was using a cheap 25 watt soldering iron and through a series of frustrating events I accidentally popped off the metal on the lead that goes to the battery. Now I have a board lead with no metal, which means that the circuit path is unconnected.

I'm not throwing anything away, I was just really frustrated. I actually doubled-down and upgraded to a 100 watt soldering iron after I wrote this. I'm not done yet, but definitely need a timeout.

If you've damaged the board, send a PM to Zook. He's the repair guy in the US for the Plecter Boards.

Definitely take a time out. Doing saber work while upset is never a good idea. I've tried it once or twice, and had to go back and redo things each time. Don't worry, it gets easier.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Sorry for the bad experiences. Hopefully you can recover and continue on. I currently have three sabers in progress and no time to work them. It will probably take me years to complete, but I try to enjoy the work itself when I do find the time without thinking of the goal.

Thanks for letting me vent guys. I let the dark side take hold for a minute. I'm OK now though.

Sorry to hear you had a build up of Bogons, it happens to the best of us.

I actually doubled-down and upgraded to a 100 watt soldering iron after I wrote this.
    I don't think using more power is going to help, after all, it was TOO MUCH HEAT that got you in trouble in the first place

If you're new to soldering; trash pick a broken computer (anything with a circuit board) and practice soldering and de-soldering on it for a bit.

If you can spare a few bucks, may I suggest investing in a soldering station with temp control? If you plan on building in the future it will pay for itself in no time. There are some decent Weller clones for under $50. I tried a cheap iron back in the day when I started working on guitars and always got frustrated when I was soldering grounds on the pots.

I bought a soldering iron for ?8($12) and it does the job just fine
    Practice and patience is the best way