Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Padawan's Humility Build Log

Default Padawan's Humility Build Log

I've been around the forums a bit asking questions, buying parts, and generally getting things together. I figured it would be fun to keep a build log not only for myself, but also because I've enjoyed going through some of the other build logs here.

This build is not particularly special, just some basic stuff to get my feet wet. No shroud, colors, or weathering; just a simple build.

I've done a few things differently than most pieces I've seen.

1. I have the covertec knob at the top of the saber, instead of the bottom. Being a little inspired by Iai, I reasoned that drawing a saber that was face up instead of face down would allow me to get in a strike just a little quicker, because I wouldn't have to do a 180 to bring my weapon to bare.
    2. I put the activation switch at the bottom of the hilt instead of the middle or top. This is because I want the switch to be safely out of the way for combat. I also thought having it and the charge port next to the battery leads made a certain amount of sense.
    3. I would like to put my speaker at the top (under the crystal chamber) instead of the bottom. I figure the sound would point forward instead of back, and give a better experience for everyone. I'm not sure how the wiring for that will work out, but the speaker mount doesn't seem to want to cooperate with that idea.

Here's a photoshop mock-up. I've got most of the parts I want, so I'll have actual build pics up soon.

Crude wiring schematic

I did my first tap today and it felt like it went pretty well. However, the blade retention screw feels really tight. I'm wondering if I should grease or even re-tap the threads.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CET; 08-21-2015 at 01:43 PM.

If the screw isn't going in easily, I'd check the threads. Some possibilities: you have dirt or gunk in the hole, you've got the wrong screw, the screw threads are buggered, or you need to re-tap the hole.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I added a touch of grease and it went in like butter.

I added some touch up paint to the blade emitter, which I think makes the grafflex pins pop a bit.
    Last edited by CET; 08-21-2015 at 01:44 PM.

I'm still waiting on the double-female coupler, but otherwise I've got everything I need to do the basic build. I've decided to get the pre-wired battery and NB.

I found some really clear crystals with wire wrapping at the local new age shop, which I think will make fantastic focusing crystals.

Last edited by CET; 08-21-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    I added some touch up paint to the blade emitter, which I think makes the grafflex pins pop a bit.
    IMG_20150808_110115451.jpg
    Yeah, that looks nice with the black in there. Good choice.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

One question regarding your "crude diagram" image...

You say you're using a 3.7v battery, but a lil bit lower down, the dark yellow part is listed as being a
    7.4v charger. Shouldn't the battery & charger voltages match? On the other hand, you did say it's a
    smart charger, so maybe it wouldn't matter?

I'd just hate to see an overpowered charger explode the battery and ruin the saber from the inside.

Oh well, for the time I've been here, I'm still learning and trying to avoid the dreaded "he knows just
    enough to be dangerous" stage of education... so I ask questions instead of making assumptions.

Do you hear that?
    That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way.

Good catch, thank you! I'll double-check my charger to make sure I got the right one.

I just received the last part to my hilt today, so happy!

Last edited by CET; 08-21-2015 at 01:45 PM.