Thread: Battery Voltage for Resistor Calculations

Default Battery Voltage for Resistor Calculations

When you do your resistor equations do you use the typical battery voltage (3.7v/7.4v) or do you pull the voltage off of a fully charged battery? I know to pull the voltage off of the led with a bench power supply to be precise but wouldn't it throw your numbers off if your battery was fully charged to over 3.7v/7.4v? Just wondering. Thanks.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I always just use typical battery voltage

Not quite an expert however, so peak voltage could very well be the better way... but I usually see other people use typical voltage as well.

It is better to go off of rated voltage as "Fully charged" Voltage isn't going to last very long and is only ever so slightly higher anyway.

Thank you guys. I did some reading and found out why we use those numbers. I just didn't want to drive the dice too hard.

Generally, we also usually round-up when purchasing the resistors in stock here, rarely getting the EXACT resistor the calculations indicate. Perhaps I'm foolishly being indifferent, but I ASSUME the extra padding of numbers by the round-ups are good enough to cover any slight "over-voltage" of a fully charged battery.

Bark essentially has it right, we use "averages" and "median" values for a reason, there is a bit of "play" factored into any values that are used. Between using the "average" values, and "rounding up" on the resistor values (due to what is mass produced), variances in various elements are "accounted" for.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com