Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Lightsaber Need Help Wiring Tri-Cree LED

Default 2nd Lightsaber Need Help Wiring Tri-Cree LED

Hello there! I am a bit new to the saber scene, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am making my second lightsaber out of one 18650 3.7v 2600mAh battery, with a guarded switch, three 1 ohm 2w resistors, and three white Cree LEDs on a single star with an 18 deg tri LED star lens. I am having trouble understanding how to wire the resistors and LEDs overall, and how they connect to the battery/switch. If someone could post a link to a tutorial of wiring a tri-star LED in series for a saber, I would be very grateful!
    Last edited by SaberScorch; 07-26-2015 at 06:42 AM.

I just finished wiring my tri cree, and you'll find that it's not as difficult as it may seem. Since you're using three whites, I'm going to assume you're running all of these parallel. If that's the case, I'd wire positive and negatives to their respective pads, then join all of the positives into one wire. Do the same with the negatives. Then, wire all of the spliced bits to two long wires: one positive and one negative. This may seem a bit confusing, so if you want me to post a picture of what I did (all of my dyes work), I'd be happy to show you. Also, since this will be your first tri-star, get three resistors (since you're using all whites, the same ohm and wattage resistor will be fine), and wire them onto each respective positive wire before splicing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Elegance doesn't compromise functionality.

Thank you so much! It would be very helpful if you could upload a photograph. I will be sure to upload a photo of mine when it is completed (If it ever is)! I have chosen three 1 ohm 2w resistors, but where would the resistors go? I have not ordered yet as I am trying to plan this out before I make my purchase.
    Last edited by SaberScorch; 07-26-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberScorch View Post
    Thank you so much! It would be very helpful if you could upload a photograph. I will be sure to upload a photo of mine when it is completed (If it ever is)! I have chosen three 1 ohm 2w resistors, but where would the resistors go? I have not ordered yet as I am trying to plan this out before I make my purchase.
    The resistors would go inline with the respective wires. One for each positive or negative wire. (I favor putting each resistor on each positive wire).

Here are the pics:
    thing1.jpgthing2.jpg
    The other two wires (red and black) are for my white FoC dye
    The second one is sloppy soldering, but I haven't soldered in my resistors yet, so I'm just testing each LED like this with a 3 volt battery. (Won't damage my 3.58V dyes).

In your case, you'd wire each resistor to each positive (or negative) wire, then connect the wires at the ends of the resistors. Then just connect all of the negatives together. (Splice them)\

If you'd like, I'll upload another photo (later on) with two resistors connected to make it clearer if you wish
    Last edited by Yorginsnarff; 07-26-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Thank so much! I would like to see more pictures later on to clarify things a bit more.

will do

I got some pics for ya :P

thing3.jpgthing4.jpgthing5.jpgthing6.jpgthing7.jpg

in your case, you'd just attach the third resistor onto that remaining positive and group that loose negative up with the rest That way, you could attached them to a JST and be on your merry way :P
    Last edited by Yorginsnarff; 07-26-2015 at 08:11 AM.

If you haven't ordered yet, since you're just using white, I'm going to go ahead and suggest you use a single XP-L instead of a triple XP-E2. It'll be easier for you to wire and unless I'm crazy, an XP-L at 3A is brighter than 3 XP-E2s at 1A each.

If I were going to make a white saber, I'd be buying an XP-L to try out. I've not seen one in person but I hear good things.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    If you haven't ordered yet, since you're just using white, I'm going to go ahead and suggest you use a single XP-L instead of a triple XP-E2. It'll be easier for you to wire and unless I'm crazy, an XP-L at 3A is brighter than 3 XP-E2s at 1A each.

If I were going to make a white saber, I'd be buying an XP-L to try out. I've not seen one in person but I hear good things.
    Okay thanks! Where can I find this single XP-L, and how would I run it at 3A? I want to build the brightest stunt blade possible with a $200-$300 budget as this may be my last saber for a long time. And I may be buying a module that contains 4 LEDs. I could use your advice as I am not very educated in the art of saber building!
    Last edited by SaberScorch; 07-27-2015 at 02:41 PM.

your budget for a STUNT saber is 300 bucks?! You're gonna make one kickass saber lol. My sound saber cost 330 :O