Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to the hobby but have some awesome plans!

You are AWESOME, Ty_Bomber! Thank you for that. I'll probably just go with the shorter list above. Cost is a factor at this point but I also don't want to have the hilt plugged in for hours like you said?

Is there no need for a PCB? Or are those only necessary when you're building your own rechargeable cell?

They're individually protected already. You're good.

Awesome! Everything is on order. Hoping my saber parts ship this week! Tim sent me a photo of the switch hole he machined into my extension and I'm getting really excited about it.

IMG_4540.jpg
    Last edited by SpartanVillage; 08-05-2015 at 07:54 AM.

That switch looks prettier than I would have thought, recessed into the v grooves like that. Very cool.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    That switch looks prettier than I would have thought, recessed into the v grooves like that. Very cool.
    Yeah it turned out great! It's going to look even better after the extension gets powder coated. The blue ring is really going to stand out against the black when it lights up.

My order from TCSS is showing up tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited! However while I've been waiting, I decided to design and make my own custom chassis parts. It's designed to hold the 18650 battery cell, Buckpuck, and the momentary switch converter board in the recess on the bottom. Overall length between the two discs is under 4" which should be perfect for the length of the main body on my hilt. Still going to add some brass tubing over the all thread along with some acorn nuts to finish off the ends. Let me know what you guys think!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanVillage View Post
    Awesome! Everything is on order. Hoping my saber parts ship this week! Tim sent me a photo of the switch hole he machined into my extension and I'm getting really excited about it.

IMG_4540.jpg
    That is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanVillage View Post
    My order from TCSS is showing up tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited! However while I've been waiting, I decided to design and make my own custom chassis parts. It's designed to hold the 18650 battery cell, Buckpuck, and the momentary switch converter board in the recess on the bottom. Overall length between the two discs is under 4" which should be perfect for the length of the main body on my hilt. Still going to add some brass tubing over the all thread along with some acorn nuts to finish off the ends. Let me know what you guys think!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Looking pretty nice. Hope it works out when you get your parts in hand.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Thanks guys! So as it turns out, thanks to some bad advice, the 18650 is not going to provide enough power for the BuckPuck to function. I don't know how I overlooked that detail seeing how it's 3.7V and the minimum input voltage of the BuckPuck is 5V. HOWEVER, I did end up ordering a 4 AAA battery holder when I ordered my parts from TCSS which in fact puts out 6V! So I'm going to run that for the time being until I need to upgrade. Seeing how this is just a stunt saber/display piece/photo prop, I don't necessarily need it to have extended run time. But knowing me, I'll probably end up replacing the AAAs with a 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack.

IF you stuck with the 18650 battery pack, lost the buckpuck, and used the appropriate resistors (where needed) you would be fine. You'll also come to find that AAA's don't put out enough current to run a multi-die LED for more than a few minutes.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com