Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the hobby but have some awesome plans!

Default New to the hobby but have some awesome plans!

Hey guys, new to the forum and new to building sabers but like most of you I've been a Star Wars fan for decades. Finally decided to build a saber and have a general idea of what I want to do with it. I usually take the "do it right the first time" attitude towards projects so I'm not going for the most basic setup. Building this saber to be a display piece/photo prop/costume prop. Here's what I have on the list so far:

- Blue/Blue/White Cree XP-E2 CopperNova
    - 18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
    - Star thermal tape pad
    - Cree/Rebel Lens Holder
    - MHS Heat Sink V3
    - 4AAA battery holder with mount
    - 1000mA Wired BuckPuck
    - LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD (36 inches)
    - Ribbed grooved / Choke Combo
    - MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 16
    - 3" Double female threaded connector
    - Bezel for illuminated switches
    - 16mm Anti Vandal Latching Blue Ring Switch
    - Catalyst Pommel (Ultrasabers)

Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions to improve the build or if you see something that I'm missing. Thanks in advance!

Rendering of my build plans (sorry it's small)
    Lightsaber Option 1.jpg
    Last edited by SpartanVillage; 07-18-2015 at 07:49 PM.

You won't need the lens holder with a triple led, the lens fits right on top of it and is secured by tightening the heatsink. Where are you planning to put your switch? You may need to swap that 3" extension out for a 4" to give you enough clearance for the AAA battery holder, or put the switch in the ribbed section. Oh, and just an FYI, TCSS does not guarantee proper fitment of other manufacturer's parts with the MHS system.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Any reason why you'd want a Catalyst pommel when you could just use MPS Pommel style 8?
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Any reason why you'd want a Catalyst pommel when you could just use MPS Pommel style 8?
    I actually wanted to use MPS Pommel Style 8 but it's out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    You won't need the lens holder with a triple led, the lens fits right on top of it and is secured by tightening the heatsink. Where are you planning to put your switch? You may need to swap that 3" extension out for a 4" to give you enough clearance for the AAA battery holder, or put the switch in the ribbed section. Oh, and just an FYI, TCSS does not guarantee proper fitment of other manufacturer's parts with the MHS system.
    Thanks for the tips. I was planning on putting the switch in the center of the 3" section but if you think I need more room then I'll go for a 4". However how would the switch hole be machines in the ripped section? I figured since it didn't have a flat surface, the switch wouldn't sit flush/properly in it.

I figured the fitment of the Catalyst would be a coin toss but Ultrasabers lists it as being a MHS compatible part so I thought it was worth a try. If it doesn't work, I'll send it back and keep waiting till Pommel Style 8 is back in stock.
    Last edited by SpartanVillage; 07-19-2015 at 04:30 AM.

I'm waiting on pommel style 8 too...

Force Aware
    Blog Entries

^Same here. I'm hoping pommel 8 will come back in stock while BH 25 is still in stock

I'd definitely recommend waiting for Pommel 8 over another product that 'might' be MHS compatible. Plus with Pommel 8 you'd be able to pick a pommel insert that would fit your needs better.

It will come back in stock, you just might have to wait a little. Patience is a big part of this hobby, trust me
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    I'd definitely recommend waiting for Pommel 8 over another product that 'might' be MHS compatible. Plus with Pommel 8 you'd be able to pick a pommel insert that would fit your needs better.

It will come back in stock, you just might have to wait a little. Patience is a big part of this hobby, trust me
    Yeah true...however TCSS is about to put out a new pommel (name escapes me at the moment) that might look awesome on my build!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanVillage View Post
    I actually wanted to use MPS Pommel Style 8 but it's out of stock.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on putting the switch in the center of the 3" section but if you think I need more room then I'll go for a 4". However how would the switch hole be machines in the ripped section? I figured since it didn't have a flat surface, the switch wouldn't sit flush/properly in it.
    Yes, machining the switch holes in the ribbed extension will allow part of the switch to be seen in the grooves, but it will sit flush because Tim recesses the hole for the switch when you have him drill it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Tim and I spoke about it and we actually did a little change up. He's going to recess the switch hole for me and instead of using a latching switch, I'm going to use a short momentary switch with the conversion board. That way everything is nice and clean. I found this photo and sent it to him for reference so this is what it should come out looking like:
    Saber Button.jpg