Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: first build, Saberstaff

I find that if you polish it all over (I use brasso) rubbing into the etched areas, you can make them quite a bit darker. Alternatively, spray paint the etched areas before removing the resist.

Wow. I thought it looked great, and then I got to your shrouded pics and double wow. Great work incorporating a shroud and a crystal chamber!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I find that if you polish it all over (I use brasso) rubbing into the etched areas, you can make them quite a bit darker.
    Also, that sounds like a good idea, and something I might want to incorporate into my shroud.

Hey everyone, long time no see.
    Sorry if this is a bit of a necro of my own thread, but I felt this question should go here since it deals with this saberstaff.

So I've recently gotten the itch once again to build something/mess with my sabers, and I love the sound and color options of my RGrB sound saber, so now I want to upgrade this saberstaff to do the same.

but man has the hardware in this hobby changed a lot in just 2 years. Now i'm at a loss of whats possible.
    So i'm trying to keep things a bit simple (relatively) and was hoping to get away with having to use just one sound card in one end and have an extra large battery in the other end of the staff, and have two tri-cree RGrB for the blades. However I'm wondering if one sound card can properly drive two tri-crees? OR would it be a better option to run neopixel blades? since a lot of people seem to be going that route these days and they do look nice. I just dont know the hardware demands of them.

Or should I just bite the bullet and accept that I should just do 2 sound cards in each half lol?

I have nothing set in stone right now, I am just trying to get my bearings on what is possible before I start making parts lists.

You could get away with running two Tri-Crees off of one sound card as long as you use the right battery solution 10-15A draw.

Neopixel will require 2 boards and 2 batteries.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    You could get away with running two Tri-Crees off of one sound card as long as you use the right battery solution 10-15A draw.

Neopixel will require 2 boards and 2 batteries.
    Ok yeah thats what I figured.
    is there any issues/tediousness in getting two tri-crees to have the exact same color on both ends, or at least close enough to not notice? I know in electronics not everything is "exactly" built the same even if from same batches (im especially thinking of resistors here). or is it just a case of having the resistors required before the wires split to the two tri-crees?

Yun should be able to get it pretty close.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com