Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Cree Continuity

Default Tri-Cree Continuity

I'm trying to wire a trip-cree set, but as I'm testing continuity, I'm getting nothing. As this is my first soldering job, I'm starting to worry that I've made a mistake. Did I burn out the LEDs? Is my technique wrong? (The joints feel secure). Anyway, here's a pic so you guys can help me diagnose what's wrong.

The wires themselves look in rough shape. Also, the brown on the star tells me you are applying way too much heat for way too long. You might have done damage to one or more LEDs. You could maybe try a single 1.5V battery and tough the wires to each end and see if the LED lights up, even a little.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I tested each contact with my multimeter. Nothing.

Well, it sucks that I learned how not to solder that way, but damn...

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Grab a 3v heck even 3.7v and hook it directly to each LED for a split second (do not look directly into the light) I find it hard to believe you messed up all 3.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Unbelievably, they all still work after hooking them up to a power supply. Onwards!

OP: might need to invest in a better soldering iron with a higher wattage/higher temperature. Also if a complete newbie, practice soldering wire-to-wire before wire-to-boards if possible to get the hand of it. The goal is to minimize both the amount of time applying the heat and the total area where the heat is applied.

Looks crispy, and a little bit too much solder. You don't need a ton to get the job done. I would maybe recommend a hotter soldering iron so you don't have to hold the iron on the star as long.

I'm going to be soldering a tri-cree myself very soon. I see a few comments here that say this was too hot, and some say it should be hotter. I am wondering, what actual temperature should the soldering iron be to solder a tri-cree? I have a soldering iron where I can set a specific temperature. Thanks.

I soldered my last Tri-Rebel at around 600F without issue. Tri-Crees should work similar.

LEDEngins I turn it up to 650F.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!