Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Revised MHS saber with more etching.

Default Revised MHS saber with more etching.

Since I built this saber last year, I always felt that it needed something more. I didn't want to put any kind of shroud over the awesome blade holder.
    I finally decided a few weeks ago to add some more etching. It may be a little overkill on the etching, but now the saber feels more complete.

What the saber originally looked like
    IMAG1306.jpg

I created my new patterns in Illustrator and took them to work and had them cut out of some vinyl (only took pics of the ribbed section part)

Then applied it to my piece. I made sure I had it sealed up good. I didn't want any leaks inside on the threads.

Into the bath!! I used a reduced mixture of Rogue9607's rootkill formula. link--->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ight=root+kill

Out of the bath! I only kept this piece in a few minutes. The threaded section is a lot thinner than the blade holder which I left in a bit longer for a deeper etch.

Once done with the etching I polished the pieces with a dremel and some jewelers polish. Then painted the etched area with some black enamel paint, wiped it off to leave the paint in the corners of the etch.
    I ended up polishing the whole saber with the jewelers polish. It did such a good job.

The final results

Thank for looking.

That looks freaking awesome. Well done!

That etching looks awesome. Maybe I need to try that. I was doing some trial & error with ferric chloride and getting some amazingly disappointing results.

wow....this makes me want to reconsider doing just saltwater and electricity...that looks amazing, its so elegant and...elvish looking to me..(idk im crazy lol)
    anyway nice job! Love that whole design

Very clean etch, bravo.

How do you properly dispose of your formula? I have kids in the home and want to avoid exposure, obviously, but since it's just toilet cleaner can it be flushed down the drain or should it be sealed and taken to a waste facility?
    Last edited by Ty_Bomber; 06-25-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Very clean etch, bravo.

How do you properly dispose of your formula? I have kids in the home and want to avoid exposure, obviously, but since it's just toilet cleaner can it be flushed down the drain or should it be sealed and taken to a waste facility?
    That's one thing I have figured out yet. I'm thinking I can dilute it with a lot more water to make it less acidic. Then flush it. I only used 2cups of water in the formula.

If you're dealing with an acid, the standard disposal technique is to neutralize the acid first, then dilute. Baking soda works well with a number of acids.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This looks fantastic! Nicely done!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

As per the MSDS of the chemical, it has a health exposure rating of "3", which is not good at all. Doubtful the EPA would haul; you off for diluting and flushing, but a more environmentally prudent disposal method would be to seal it, label it and take it to a local hazmat processing facility. Alternatively, if you live near a larger University, most of the campuses will have an EH&S department that may be able to help you dispose of the waste.