Thread: With Those Options Gone, I'm Not Sure What To Do

Default With Those Options Gone, I'm Not Sure What To Do

I know exactly what I want to do with my first MHS saber, but because there's only powder coating where it covers the entire piece, I can't order the parts to my specs. Furthermore, I don't know what other options are available to me if I were to order those parts with or without the PC. There is nothing worse than having an idea in your mind and being stymied in regards to how you realize it. It can be quite the enthusiasm killer... *sigh*

So, right now I'm looking for advice. Should I look into options where I can paint the parts myself? Should I get the PC'd parts and find ways to strip the areas I want stripped? Or should I continue with my strategy of praying they'll be reinstated soon?
    Last edited by o8jedi; 06-23-2015 at 08:59 PM.

I would do the Rustoleum paint and bake method and use sand paper/sanding sponge to remove it from where you don't want it.

If you do it yourself will be more rewarding...

Powder coating is essentially a plastic coating on the metal. With enough time and patience, it can be sanded off in different places to give you the look you want. If you have access to a metal lathe you could machine it off as well. You could see if there is a local shop that would do the work you want. You could also wait to see what TCSS will offer in the future (but even whole-piece PC is still three weeks away).

The last thing you should start doing is panicking. Calm down a little and feel your options out - you aren't dead in the water.

I;m gonna sound really out of touch with this but.... what is this method and is it complicated? I did consider a local powder coating place to see if they could accommodate my first saber but if this method isnt too hard then I'd like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock84 View Post
    I would do the Rustoleum paint and bake method and use sand paper/sanding sponge to remove it from where you don't want it.

Last edited by MrCaine01; 06-23-2015 at 09:26 PM.

It's pretty easy!
    Here's the link to a tutorial to check out!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...aking-Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock84 View Post

You can sand the powder coat off too. Just have the whole part coated and use needle files and sandpaper to take off where you don't want it.
    Don
    Sith Happens

Removing the powder coat with sandpaper and files is tedious work. Be sure you mask the edges of where you're removing with some masking tape. It'll help you keep nice clean lines.

I'm a big fan of the painting method myself. You can get all manner of designs with that method if you're creative with the spray can and some masking tape.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by o8jedi View Post
    I know exactly what I want to do with my first MHS saber, but because there's only powder coating where it covers the entire piece, I can't order the parts to my specs. Furthermore, I don't know what other options are available to me if I were to order those parts with or without the PC. There is nothing worse than having an idea in your mind and being stymied in regards to how you realize it. It can be quite the enthusiasm killer... *sigh*

So, right now I'm looking for advice. Should I look into options where I can paint the parts myself? Should I get the PC'd parts and find ways to strip the areas I want stripped? Or should I continue with my strategy of praying they'll be reinstated soon?
    Don't feel bad. I bought all of the parts for my saber about 5 months ago and have been waiting 4 months for Tim's schedule to free up so he can make me one final part. The plan was once the part was made it would be sent to me, I could mark off where I wanted the holes drilled and tapped, send the hilt back to have that done, then powder coated. Like you, the options I want for powder coating are no longer available. I was going with black chrome so it's not like I can do the baking method myself. Your best bet if you can do the baking method with the paint you want but choose not to or like me, don't want to do all of the sanding, look around on the internet and find someone else who can do the powder coating the way you want it done. There are a lot of people out there who will do it, though they may be a little more pricey.