Thread: Need Help on First Lightsaber

Default Need Help on First Lightsaber

I am finally ready to make my first lightsaber, and I want some people with experience to look over my parts list before I order. So my plan is to have the main body of my lightsaber be MHS parts and then I am going to make the back couple inches of the lightsaber on my own along with the blade holder, (ordering MHS parts if I end up not being able to make that work). So aside from the fact that there are parts missing to make a complete lightsaber body, do I have everything that I need to make a lightsaber?

-Acrylic Chassis Disk for NB/18500 1.15 ID parts
    -Luxeon Rebel Star
    -Star thermal tape pad
    -Collimator Lense 8.7 deg viewing angle
    -Luxeon Rebel Lense Holder
    -.5ohm 3w resistor
    -Premium 28mm Speaker
    -TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400Ah 18650 Lithium Battery
    -Charger for the Trust Fire
    -1/16, 1/8/, and 3/18 Heatshrink
    -MHS ribbed extension
    -A retention Screw (8/32)
    -Nano Biscoti V2
    -A Momentary Switch (no idea which one to get)
    -MHS Extension Bland Style 1
    -(I also don't know what heatsink to get)
    -(I have hoby wire, but do I have to use a certain kind, same goes for the solder)

Thank you for reading and any help you could give would be greatly appereciated.

Looks good, a sfar as which switch to get, as long as it's momentary it really doesn't matter. Pick whichever one looks best to you.

If I want to do Flicker on Contact do I need to get a Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star? If so is wiring it up the same as the single LED, and if not is there a tutorial so I can see if it would be reasonable for me? Thank you for helping me out.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPinnaple View Post
    If I want to do Flicker on Contact do I need to get a Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star? If so is wiring it up the same as the single LED, and if not is there a tutorial so I can see if it would be reasonable for me? Thank you for helping me out.
    You mean Flash on Clash, and yes, the wiring diagrams are in the manual.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yes, that is what I meant, opps. Thank you I will take a look.

Ok, so if I want FoC I would need to get a Lexion Tri-Rebel LED, and it's respective lense instead, along with a Power Xtender 2.0? Would the MHS Heat Sink V3 work with this LED setup? And does the resistor I have currently still work with the new LED? Does the FoC LED need a resistor, or is it ok? Last, if you don't mind, if I decide that I dislike changing my battery in and out for a fresh one, could I add in a recharge port later on if I wanted? Thank you for helping me make a great lightsaber!

Ok, so if I want FoC I would need to get a Lexion Tri-Rebel LED, and it's respective lense instead, along with a Power Xtender 2.0? Would the MHS Heat Sink V3 work with this LED setup? And does the resistor I have currently still work with the new LED? Does the FoC LED need a resistor, or is it ok? Last, if you don't mind, if I decide that I dislike changing my battery in and out for a fresh one, could I add in a recharge port later on if I wanted? Thank you for helping me make a great lightsaber!
    You could use a Tri-Cree as well. Yes. I don't know what resistors you have. The FoC would need a resistor as well. It would be easier for you to put the recharge port in the beginning, but you can add it later - it'll be more work though.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Is there a big difference between the Tri-Rebel and the Cree? I was planing on using a .5 ohm 3 watt resistor for the LED. Would the same one work for the FoC LED as well? Thank you for the help.

Is there a big difference between the Tri-Rebel and the Cree? I was planing on using a .5 ohm 3 watt resistor for the LED. Would the same one work for the FoC LED as well? Thank you for the help.
    Is there a big difference? not really, though the Crees are a bit better. I suggest you check out my tutorial on calculating resistor values - it's in the LED wiring section.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Alright, thank you very much!