Thread: Machining my own Saber - Need Opinions

Default Machining my own Saber - Need Opinions

Hi guys I've been designing my Saber for a while now and I think I've got the design worked out for the most part. I'll post some pictures first then talk about my concerns. I wanna figure out my parts soon so I can buy them during the sale. FX-saber guys have been helping me but I thought I'd go where the machinists are. (I'd love to talk to the owner of TCSS) I plan on machining it myself out of aluminum.

Here's a link to more pictures and Full Size images:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1155875...eat=directlink
    Last edited by im2fst4u; 06-22-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Just to clarify, the saber will be Knurled along the body, I just need time to let inventor process it, :P Once I've done that I'll post a shot of that.
    Also worth noting; The more yellow metal parts were intended to be titanium so they could be electrode anodized orange, (and flame anodized) But titanium isn't easy to get in small quantities where I am. So the Emitter and Pommel will be made out of Aluminum instead and powder coated orange. The black piece will be 3D printed out of plastic.

Okay here's what needs to be figured out:

1. Will this design work with a V3 LED Heat sink? I designed it to fit the dimensions of the heat sink but this is worth checking. You can see the LED holder in this sectional. (the grey piece) I'll be wanting to use a RBG LED for multicolor with a prizim card.

2. Will the Design work with this Mount? I have the ID of the saber set to fit but I still have concerns, Especially since I want to use a prizim card for multicolor, and I know that card is bigger than can fit in that speaker mount. If this isn't best what are some better options? I want to use a single cell 18650 setup with sound.

3. Are there any concerns with you guys about my blade mount? It is secured by two screws but they are threading through a little over 0.100 of metal. I am concerned at the strength. I've designed it to use this thumb screw. These should be a good length with my wall thickness.

4. Minor detail. I plan to use a covertec clip. I have a thread designated for it on the bottom of my hilt. I want to go with a threaded covertec thumbscrew.

5. And I don't know what it will take to use a momentary switch. I think they are 5/8" in Dia. But the length concerns me. I have a thicker wall than your TCSS hilts here. and I'm concerned at the thickness. (.225) I'd like it to be slightly recessed to not disturb the grip. An orange switch like this would be what I'd like but I am sure that is too short.

6. I need a good spot for a tiny switch to activate the other functions of the prizim card, any ideas guys?

7. I am concerned about my pommel and if it will work. (Am I missing something?) I understand what the emitter (blade holder) needs but not the pommel. For instance, what threads should i use on my Pommel? I may just figure this out myself later. But there could be other things I am in the dark about. I did make a breathable pommel cap though for sound.

I'm sure there could be other things but I'll go with this for now. Appreciate any and all help!