Thread: Chassis Question

Default Chassis Question

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question...

I plan on making a PVC chassis on the inside of my saber to hold the soundboard and recharge and rice ports. I'm going to use a rotary tool to cut this PVC. I'm just wondering how exactly I would secure it inside the hilt? I'm guessing superglue but I'm not sure. Thanks for reading, and may the Force be with you

Don't glue it - if you need to do work on something later, you may not be able to extract it. I'd recommend a set screw in the hilt body pressing down on or into a small recess in the exterior of the pvc (which could also mount a switch box or a decorative greeblie or shroud). Also, depending on your design, you may be able to pressure fit it against another part - if your chassis is in a generic extension piece that was connected to a ribbed extension and a pommel, you could fit the pvc against the thicker thread zone on the ribbed extension and either the inside of the pommel insert or a speaker holder. I suppose you could glue the pvc to a speaker holder... but my cuts have never perfectly straight so if it were my assembly it would look a lilttle... bent... and not fit correctly. Depends on your skill and patience, really.

Thanks so much for the advice! My design looks like this SaberBuilder_render outer view.jpg

I plan on having the PVC attach in there under an MHS Double Tactile Switch Ring. I suppose I'll follow your set screw advice. Again, thank you for the advice! May the Force be with you!

I've gone with a set-screw type solution on both of my sabers - I machined the chassis from solid nylon rod and secured it in place by dual-purposing the screw for the Covertec knob.

That sounds like a good solution. I think I'll do the same except put a setscrew on the extension instead, because I want to unscrew the main body piece to reveal the electronics