Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to the site with a few questions.

Default New to the site with a few questions.

Hello all, I've been poking around the forums a few days now. I hope I'm not asking these questions in the wrong forum but, I apologize if I am.

Anyways, I'll say up front I've not built a saber, I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the information here. I have a 5yo who is a huge SW fan, as I am. He has a few of the cheap toy sabers but I thought for his 6th birthday it would be cool to build one together. Like I said, I've never done this so I'm a bit lost. I've read through the tutorials some but have a few questions. Being 6 I thought maybe a Yoda style saber would be more suited for him. I'm more than welcome to other suggestions though. Is there a kit or a parts list to help one get started with something like this? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but expect to spend around a $100 or so. Any thoughts, guidance or suggestions on getting started would be greatly appreciated. I also have a 4yo who is just as big a fan as his brother and I are so I'm thinking this will be the start of many, I hope so at least.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any replies.

I would suggest playing around on the mhs builder. You can come up with some designs that would work well for small hands and for under $100....as long as you don't do sound that is. Play around with the extensions section. Just remember you need to probably be total length no less than 7 inches. Could get really hard to fit all inside. That would be a 4 in extension 1 in pommel and 2in blade holder. That should help you out a bit. I am not the most knowledgable so others may have more to offer. But this will get cou started.
    Last edited by Thalan the Exiled; 06-04-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Thank you Thalan, I really appreciate it. I've been playing with the mhs builder but still trying to figure it all out. Your info helps a great deal. If it's more than $100 to put a sound board in I'm fine with that, I'm just not clear on the cost yet. I don't mind spending more, it's well worth it IMO. I'd like something that will last and he can be proud of when we are done if you know what I mean. Thanks again,

I just looked at a few parts and I came up with a total of about $115 for the hilt and electronics. You could cut some costs using resistors but the buck pucks are best. And I looked at a cree led cause they are brighter. Don't forget to count in the price for switch hole and blade retention hole. Total for both is around $15 but they are a necessity if you don't have a drill press and exp doing thzt stuff

You could also start here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

This will give you some "Basic's"

Be sure to also watch some of Madcow's tutoral video's.

* you will need to scroll to the top of the screen on the address.

Welcome.

If you want the basic check list for parts, this is it:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-MHS-saber-huh

I'm gonna say you might want to be prepared to up your price range. I built a youngling sized hilt and ended up paying $111 (including shipping). That didn't include batteries, battery holder, battery charger or blade / blade plug. It can be done cheaper than that, but that's just an example.

Watching Madcow's tutorial videos will help you a lot. He does great work.

edit:
    That's funny, setelf. I think we're on the same page.

Thank you very much guys. Not concerned too much about price. Reading the tutorial and playing with the mhs builder some more.
    Last edited by hitmanwa; 06-04-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks again everyone. This is what I ended up buying.

Items

1 of: MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 11
    1 of: 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw
    1 of: Hilt style 2
    1 of: MPS Pommel style 11
    1 of: MPS Insert style 10
    1 of: MPS Clip
    1 of: Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module
    1 of: BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire
    1 of: 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack
    1 of: Push on/push off switch with black button
    1 of: LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD (36 inches)
    1 of: 1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing
    1 of: 8-32 Tap & drill set
    1 of: Tap handle

I also bought a Star Wars Darth Vader Electronic Lightsaber Toy in hopes of using the cheap soundcard. I'll have to figure out how to wire it all up. I saw a tutorial on here earlier that should help.

I thought about getting some rubber o-rings to break it up some. Any suggestions on adding some color maybe or using a sink tube to add a little more character to it?

Thanks again for all the help,

Enamel spraypaint is a good choice for adding color. It's easy to apply, and easy to remove with a little acetone if you don't like the results. Get creative with a little blue painter's tape and you can mask all kinds of designs before you paint.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I have everything and am currently working on this. Really having fun with it. I screwed up and got the Machine 16mm AV switch hole. I went and looking for a few switches at the hardware stores but couldn't find anything I liked other than door bells which you have to keep pressed in order for it to work. I'm still trying to work all that out.

Quick question. What is the best way to charge the 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack?
    Also, I bought some 1.5' sink tubing but it's not quite big enough to fit the hilt. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, will post when I'm done.