Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electroplating discussion

Default Electroplating discussion

First off I had no idea where to put this so I just stuck it here..

So I was re-reading ARKM's Salt Water etching and realized that the method, inverted, could be used to electroplated the hilt as well. So my idea was to first etch in the design and then take a brass rod, inverse the polarity and then plate the etched in parts. The goal is to get an "inlaid" brass look. I don't intend this segment of the saber to see much use (at all actually, it's the external part of the "Epic Reveal")

I can't really find any thing on whether or not this will work on a saber, results, etc. Just looking on opinions if it will work. And if I try it I'll post my results.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Would love to see this. Please post pics if you decide to try it.

I've researched this myself and apparently it's extremely difficult to plate in brass and requires other processes and chemicals to work. This is because brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. In other words, sadly, electroplating with brass in your garage is not gonna happen. Instead, I'm looking into electroplating in 24k gold. The downside is you pretty much have to plate copper on first, then nickel, then gold for it to work properly. *sigh*

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Well, thanks ARKM now I don't have to waste the money :/ And btw, thanks for the salt water etching tutorial, I'll be using it on my next saber
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

Sure thing. I look forward to seeing your results.

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

So you could do copper? That could look cool on the right saber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thalan the Exiled View Post
    So you could do copper? That could look cool on the right saber
    I have been looking into this a bit, not too extensively mind you. What I've found is that copper and aluminum do not work well alone. The suggestions I have found say to do a nickel plate first, then copper. Basically, nickel plays nice with aluminum and copper plays nice with nickel.

Nickel seems to be a common factor for just about everything...maybe a thin layer of nickel is all you need to electro plate brass or gold to the aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I have been looking into this a bit, not too extensively mind you. What I've found is that copper and aluminum do not work well alone. The suggestions I have found say to do a nickel plate first, then copper. Basically, nickel plays nice with aluminum and copper plays nice with nickel.
    Everything I have read from many articles/forums states the opposite. The info I have read states that copper goes on first, especially when attempting to gold plate aluminum. Also that gold should not be plated onto copper as gold tends to diffuse into the copper (or vice-versa) which changes it's appearance. Common practice is to use nickel between the copper and gold. Regardless of what metal you want to plate aluminum with, a zincating step is recommended first so that the metal being plated on, adheres to the aluminum properly.
    Last edited by ARKM; 06-06-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    Everything I have read from many articles/forums states the opposite. The info I have read states that copper goes on first, especially when attempting to gold plate aluminum. Also that gold should not be plated onto copper as gold tends to diffuse into the copper (or vice-versa) which changes it's appearance. Common practice is to used nickel between the copper and gold. Regardless of what metal you want to plate aluminum with, a zincating step is recommended first so that the metal being plated on, adheres to the aluminum properly.
    Reading more about this and yes ARKM, professional sources cite the zincate process. I'm not sure about gold plating as I was looking more at DIY processes for copper as the finish and those are somewhat all over the place. What's common among most of the sources I've come across is that plating aluminum is a very involved process and tends to be troublesome. Especially for the inexperienced.

In knowing this, I may stick to your etching tut and try some copper leaf