Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first build i need help

Default My first build i need help

Hello all.

I have been lurking on the forums for the past year and recently signed up. i think i have a decent idea of what to get and how to put it into action to have a basic functioning saber. i have opted out of using a sound board partly because they are expensive and also because it seems a little frightening when i have zero experience with any of this.

i have put together a parts list and would appreciate feedback. here it goes.

for the hilt-
    MPS Pommel style 4
    hilt style 3 w/ Machine Guarded style switch hole
    MHS choke style 1 short
    MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 9
    MPS insert style 12
    mps clip
    Drill & Tap Hole (8-32) - for blade retention
    8-32 x .3" anodized thumb screw
    LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD (36 inches)

for the Electronics
    MWS Guarded Style Latching Switches
    Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star (RBlue/Green/Red)
    Star thermal tape pad
    18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
    MHS Heat Sink V3
    BuckPuck 700mA 4-wire
    7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack
    3.7V-14.8V Li-Ion Smart charger
    Tamiya to JST charger adapter ???
    JST Extension Red/Black 24 AWG
    JST Male connector 24AWG Red/Black
    JST Female connector 24AWG Red/Black

Misc.
    1/16" Heatshrink tubing
    synthetic grease
    17 black o-rings

also worth noting i want a purple blade.

thanks in advance for any feedback

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

Your list looks pretty good to me. You don't need the buckpuck. You will want to wired your red and blue in parallel, and resistor the red. You can get by with a 3.7V 18650 battery. It would give you a longer run time, and you may want to consider some type of chassis to keep the battery pack from rattling around inside your hilt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

thank you.
    i have deleted the buckpuck from my wishlist and replaced the battery with this Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery Module and added these 1" Aluminum 3/16" OD spacer (Gold), Acrylic Chassis Disc for MHSV2 18500/18650 - S17 (Red) and some nuts. i'm assuming i can get the Stainless 4-40 all thread cut to a shorter length? i'm not too concerned about figuring out what resister i need quite yet. it'll still be some time before i purchase anything.

also is the royal blue and red going to give me a more darker/deeper purple than just blue and red? if that makes any sense at all, lol.

We tend to use Royal Blue because many have found the "standard" Blue has a little Green in it. Deeper and/or Darker will depend on you and your use of resistors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Blog Entries

I'm assuming the hilt you have listed is MHS V1? If so, you may want to rethink the MHS V2 acrylic disc, its OD is smaller than the MHS V1 hilts ID, about 0.24". You may still get too much "play" with the battery. 4-40 rods are extremely thin.

While there isn't a battery only disc for MHS V1, you can use S2 or S3 which are equipped to hold a battery and sound card. Bonus if you decide to upgrade down the road.

thank you both. i didnt know the "normal" blue isn't a true blue. i should have realized the chassis parts i chose were for v2 not v1. i appreciate it. it'll be a few months yet but when i finally save enough i'll probably have questions then too.

okay so I've been wracking my brain for the past several days trying to figure out how i'm going to resistor the red led. i think i have a pretty good idea of how to wire probably everything else, in theory. I've watched most of Madcow's videos on youtube on the css channel. so i know how to wire my tri-rebel in parallel, I just don't have a clue where to solder the resistor i'm going to use.

It *normally* goes on the (+) wire to the Red LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Right. so would i wire red positive to blue first or blue positive to red first? or does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by abarger200 View Post
    Right. so would i wire red positive to blue first or blue positive to red first? or does it matter?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Each of the dice (Red AND Blue) will have their own positive and negative wires.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines