Thread: The force is strong with this site!

Default The force is strong with this site!

Hello to all from a total NEWB!
    I happened across light saber builds on Youtube and have been infatuated with it fort a couple months. I just started mapping out my first saber build yesterday and looking around the sites. I'm anxious to get started and I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.

I want to build a saber very similar to this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp9AnLgYz2c
    Except I want to use an Igniter2 board and a Z6 with dual AV switches and a recharge port in the style 11 switch box and a crystal chamber that's motorized so it'll be much longer overall. I'm also using a PLI and a few accent LED's. It'll probably be huge and heavy but so be it, I intend for it to be mostly for demonstration anyway so it'll look pretty sweet as shelf fodder, lol.

I look forward to discussing saber building with you all in the future.

PS.
    Madcow, I appreciate your vids on Youtube, I think I've gone through them all so I certainly look forward to any new vids you can add. If you can cover installation of some fancy accent LED's, I'd sure appreciate it.
    What may have Bean, should have Bean and so shall have Bean, once again.

Welcome to the forums!

A word of advice: While it is tempting to want to put all the bells and whistles into your first saber, it is rarely advised that you try to do so. Unless you have significant experience building props, models, etc., then I'd *highly* recommend starting with a simple build. You can always go back and upgrade it later, or build a better saber once you've gotten a feel for it. It's rare that a fan stops at just one saber. It's more common that a newbie bites off more than they can chew on their first build, and they end up with a bad taste in their mouth for the hobby.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Welcome to the Forums!

I second SS's advice. Don't go too crazy on your first build, it's very easy to get in way over your head on your first build.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Welcome.

Accent LEDs added to the video to-do list!

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

Thanks folks, you're right and that's good advice for most cases...just not mine. I've got a high technical competency, I can solder and I can read schematics and directions. I'll save any concern for getting too complicated for after I decide to try to make my own driver and stringblade. I don't see anything in what I want to do that's too complicated or overwhelming. I just saw the forum and thought it would be cool to join and see what others are doing and learn what I can. I could see the cause for concern had I asked how to make the blade hot, lol. I picked Darthbean as a username because I thought it was funny, not because I actually act like Rowan Atkinson with a hot soldering iron, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthbean View Post
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

Thanks folks, you're right and that's good advice for most cases...just not mine.
    It may come as a small surprise, but SS and I have heard those lines before... a lot.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    It may come as a small surprise, but SS and I have heard those lines before... a lot.
    Haha, no, it's no surprise and like I said, it's good advice.
    You hereby have my permission to say "I told you so" if I have problems, until then don't lose any sleep over it, K. (meant with all due respect, of course)

Some people come to this hobby with an enormous host of skills, and can pull off a first saber with all the bells and whistles. Most don't. If you've got the skills, then do what you're comfortable with. For every Slothfurnace I've seen, there have been hundreds of newbies that never touched a soldering iron in their life.

Cram-fu is typically the beginner's worst enemy (after learning how to solder). Mind your space in the planning stages, know your skill limits, and you can do some amazing things.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!