Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'Dies Justitia' Design and build log

Default 'Dies Justitia' Design and build log

Howdy guys,

I'm returning to the saber building hobby after a few years away, I made a few amateur and simple sabers a few years ago. While those sabers were kinda "meh" I really enjoyed making them and still take pride in them. I started lurking the forums again and before I knew what had hit me I wanted to build a new saber.

But not like the ones I made before, my goal this time is to make a saber worthy of a true Saber-Smith.

This is the build log for that saber the 'Dies Justitia' or 'Day of Justice'.

I have been inspired by hundreds of other sabers here but the ones I keep coming back to are the star-killer builds, Derelict, and multiple sabers by LDM and Fender Bender. I want to incorporate some of my favorite aspects of these inspiring sabers into my own work.

I am going for a Light-side saber that looks and feels like it was created with combat primarily in mind, a functional and efficient design.

Here are my initial sketches and design ideas, I will likely make a 3D Cad model next to make sure that i can Cram-fu all the elements I want in this design.
    SaberBuilder_render4.jpgimage1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPG

Comments and criticism are not only welcome, but desired.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

Welcome back.

I guess the big question here is what do you plan on putting inside of it. As it currently stands, you don't have a lot of room in there.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I have an Ignitier 2 I intend to use for sound.
    Either a single 18650, or a side-by-side (3.7v) 14500 pack.
    A crystal chamber in the ribbed section with the bottom shroud sliding to either reveal or protect it.
    Recharge port, 12mm AV if it will fit for my main button and a tactile for the aux.

And yes its gonna be tight, that is why I am thinking spending the time to work it up in CAD will be well worth it so I can at least have a workable plan.

Worst case I would need to extend the 4" section into a 5" section but i feel that makes its proportions less visually appealing.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

Good luck. I really like the design.

With the store closed and feeling the constant itch to work on saber projects I did a little more thinking/sketching and then started on the CAD model.

That last one is likely to be the most useful or important since this is looking like a pretty tight build and my on-the-fly cram-fu is weak.

~edit for terrible spelling, the bad grammar stays.

Looks like my major components will fit. Now I need some measurements for the length of a recharge port and of a 12mm AV switch.
    Last edited by Jagahati; 06-01-2015 at 08:04 PM.

I found a dimension diagram here for 12mm switches, and there's a data sheet here for the 2.1mm Switchcraft jack (I can verify the recharge port measurements tonight, but I'm 98% that page is the same ports TCSS sells).

Really Nice Design by the way. I always like other ppl designs more than my own.
    I can light a small city with my board

Quote Originally Posted by sgcdialler View Post
    I found a dimension diagram here for 12mm switches, and there's a data sheet here for the 2.1mm Switchcraft jack (I can verify the recharge port measurements tonight, but I'm 98% that page is the same ports TCSS sells).
    AWESOME! Thank you, you just save me tearing apart my daughters saber, something that she does not approve of.

And thanks for the kind words about my design guys, it has been kicking around in my head for a couple years before I got bit by the saber bug again.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcdialler View Post
    I can't confirm the 12mm anti-vandal dimensions, but the recharge port is exactly what Tim sells.