Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie Lightsaber Builder - what do i need for it to be fully functional

You need to make a decision on your power source here sometime. SS covered it, but if you want to use a buckpuck, you need >5V power source. I personally prefer using single 18650 3.7V batteries and resistors. Part of that is that I like short hilts. But that's just me. Whatever you prefer to do, but you need to figure out which route you want to go.

And yeah, if you're using an illuminated switch, you'll want that dynaohm resistor. Just make sure you don't install it backwards. The resistor itself has a + and - side. Also make sure it goes on your LED +. Normal resistors can usually go on the + or - but that dynaohm needs +.
    Of course, you only need to know that part if you build it yourself. If JQ does it, you needn't worry about it.

Hi' Miraluka , I've got in contact with JQ sabers enquiring about their services / P&P and sent them my current wish list,
    Q) Does hilt & blade size matter in relation to a person's height? I'm 6Ft 1" and selected the 40" blade combined with a 16" hilt
    Hilt Style 2.jpg MHS Choke style 3.jpg
    Double Male with slots syle 2.jpg
    MPS Pommel style 8.jpg
    MSHV1 Blade Holder Style 9.jpg

You're not going to be able to add in that double male section without another double female somewhere. With saber parts, every male needs a female, and every female needs a male. No extras. Right now you have 5 male ends and only 3 female.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

The size I most often see people using is 32" but it's all a matter of preference. I'm 5'9" and prefer the 30-32" range. I've had blades up into the 35-37" and found them a little uncomfortable. I know you're taller than me but even so, I've seen people your height and taller that prefer 32". I also prefer shorter hilts for the most part but hilt and blade length depend on you. Are you a practiced swordsman? If you are, depending on you and your style, you probably have a good idea of how long your hilt and blade should be. But the balance will probably be different with a lightsaber. If you're not actually fighting with the thing, I suppose it just depends on whatever you think looks best.

I say I mostly prefer smaller hilts because I do have a saber with about a 29" hilt and a 32" blade. I love it.

And yeah, in that first comment I mentioned that your configuration is off. Your choke and windowed extension are set up to be male/male. You'd need to change something or use the double female adapter between them.
    Last edited by Miraluka; 05-29-2015 at 04:59 AM.

if i add some adapters would that help to connect the parts better?

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    I say I mostly prefer smaller hilts because I do have a saber with about a 29" hilt and a 32" blade. I love it.
    You have a saber with a 29" hilt? That's huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbolt View Post
    if i add some adapters would that help to connect the parts better?
    From looking at your current build parts I'd say you need one double female adapter between your windowed extension and your choke.
    Last edited by Quixotic Jedi; 05-29-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic Jedi View Post
    From looking at your current build parts I'd say you need one double female adapter between your windowed extension and your choke.
    Ok! Quixotic Jedi, I've added the double female adaptor between the window extension and my choke, do people typically stick the speaker in the window extension. and is my choice of pommel suitable for connecting to my hilt, please and thank you

The pommel is fine. Typically people put the speaker at the bottom of the hilt, facing out the pommel. You could have sound come out of the window extension, although I think those were originally developed to be used as exposed crystal chambers. Thing about building lightsabers, though... you can kinda use anything for anything, as long as it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    The pommel is fine. Typically people put the speaker at the bottom of the hilt, facing out the pommel. You could have sound come out of the window extension, although I think those were originally developed to be used as exposed crystal chambers. Thing about building lightsabers, though... you can kinda use anything for anything, as long as it works.
    I'll keep that in mind when finalising my build with JQ'sabers, when its fully built my saber will be carried in a holster on my back within my boba fett jetpack that I'm building for my Boba fett merge with Zero the assassin from borderlands 2 Cosplay, are the belt attaching parts necessary or is it cosmetic for general jedi's