Thread: Can i add box 9 to this piece?

Default Can i add box 9 to this piece?

The 4in. grooved dbl. female extension with the 4-40 screw holes, was wondering if I can have it drilled for box 9?
    Also was wondering if a normal heatsink assembly will fit in the choke style 3, and blade holder 25 combo?
    SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Thank you in advance =)

Darkmatter73

Best thing to do as far as your activation box goes is to email Tim and ask. It could definitely be done, but just bear in mind that, since it's a grooved piece, there will be space between the box and part of the extension piece unless an area in the ridges is milled out to accommodate the box. As for the heatsink, it ought to fit just fine. That choke has an internal diameter of a little over 3/4", and the copper part of the heatsinks are ~.78".

Not really sure about the activation box. Remember it will have a slightly different radius than the outside of that extension because it was desgned to go on a standard diameter extension, which is smaller than your extension. The heatsink will fit just fine in any of the chokes.

I got one done like that recently. The box won't be perfectly flush like it would on the normal MHS extensions, but it'll fit.

Do yourself a favor and move it down toward the middle of the extension. You'll be glad.

Thanks everyone!
    Yoshi-Taka, is that because it'll interfere with other hardware towards the front end of the saber? Led wires and whatnot?

I recommend moving it toward the middle for the sake of the threads on the parts. I'm also very OCD, so I prefer it if things on my lightsabers look... even. It's an aesthetic choice for me.

I would be a little more concerned about what else you are going to attempt to put into that saber.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

FJK: i was thinking about a NBv2 with Pex, and a Tri rebel. And a recharge port in the box with a white AV switch. 18650 batt and premium speaker. Will this work do you think?

Let's see, you've got about 6" of room to play in the lower section of your hilt (below the choke). If you mount the speaker about .5" from the speaker grill, have the battery mounted just "above" that (a 1 cell 18650 should be a little over 2.6" long). The NB is about 1.12" long but it can be mounted on top of/alongside the battery, same goes for the PeX (about .55"). That should bring your total length of the electronics there to maybe 4"? Mount the switch plate as far up as possible on that grooved extension, and you have an area underneath it to put all the JST connectors. I could see that working nicely.