Thread: Looks like I just fried my NB

Default Looks like I just fried my NB

I had my build almost finished. All the wiring was done and tested. I'd just wrapped my pEx in heatshrink to prevent shorts and decided to pop the battery in for another test.

Just as I was doing that my wife came in and started asking me about something unrelated. I think I put the battery in backwards. Suddenly there was a cloud of smoke...

There's a small blister on one of the components on the NB now and all is dead when I connect power.

Looks like I'll need to order a new board once they're back in stock.

On the next build you can bet I'll be installing a diode on the battery connection.

If you PM Zook, he can repair it for you (charges apply).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Just so you know, the charges are reasonable and he does good work, quickly. This is my testimonial. He repaired two NB boards for me. Both work as good as new.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Good to know. I've PMed him.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid repeating my mistake in the future. Adding a diode wont work; the forward voltage drop is too high.

I'm thinking I might replace the battery holder I'm using now with a single cell 18650 pack. A polarized connector like that is harder to charge, but there isn't much risk of reversed polarity.

As far as charging goes, you could just add a recharge port. they seem easy enough to install, and if you are having to replace your NB anyway it might be a good investment.