Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Regal minimalism (first build)

Re: pulsing - mystery solved.

Pulsing used to be available regardless of mode (i.e. it was accessible in normal, idle and clash) pre-CF7.
    Since CF7, it's limited to idle mode.

Wiring question:
    What do you guys use for wire strain relief on the sound board?
    I don't want to slather it in hotglue. I'm using kapton tape here and there, but more to reduce the chance of a short if anything comes loose than for strain relief.

Added a splash of paint here and there to break up the monotony a little and make it bit less flashlighty.

Far from perfect (my tape-work was a bit spotty so i had some overspray right at the edges of the recesses), but didn't turn out that bad.
    What do you think, too stripey?

Coming along nicely. I'm liking that media blasted finish. As for wire strain relief I have my stuff crammed in so tight a sardine has more room to move around.

You have inspired me to go with a media blasted and raw aluminum scheme on my elite build that is in the works. Your saber is gorgeous so far. Thanks for posting, you helped me decide what I wanted finish wise.
    Some parts have been ordered, with a lot of custom work from Tim. I should have the main grip piece (6" DF) with engraved Aurebesh Jedi Code and media blasted/custom lathed style 3 extensions in the mail soonish. LOTS more to come once parts are back in stock. Will be a full reveal saber with CF and RGrB Cree. I will be starting a complete build thread very soon... Stay tuned.

Thanks, guys!

I'm currently in full cram-fu mode, trying to fit everything in the hilt.
    Lesson learned - it's not the components that are hard to cram inside, it's the wiring

I went overboard on quick disconnects (3 total, 1 for LEDs, 1 for buttons, 1 for accent LED) and realized that + a beefy FoC resistor equal to quite a mess when trying to fit everything in. And that's on a 12+" hilt.

I can *barely* close the hilt.
    I left the extra LED unconnected for now.

Yes, one of the chassis discs cracked. I left it like that for now. Makes it easier to manouver the battery into place and it's not like the CF has anywhere to go anyway.
    Note to self: switch to thin-insulation, silicone wires for the next teardown/rebuild.

Waved it about, shook it, kicked it, recharged it, nothing smoking.
    I guess it passes the test.

By the way, that's two orange-red dies in series at 700 mA.
    The flood can be barely seen in broad daylight (in the shade), when pointed at the floor (visible in video around 1:2.
    Seems like 1000mA will be plenty bright
    Last edited by orcinus; 07-05-2015 at 01:59 PM.