Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: -Need help for my first builds-

Default -Need help for my first builds-

Hi all
    I'm going to order what I need to build a couple of lightsabers... I'll build them without sound and FOC for now.

-First question:
    I want a Virdian blade and I was thinking about a GGW tri-cree, all LEDs wired in series with a 700 mA buckpuck.
    One of my friends prefer the Dark Side, so he want to use a RRW tri-cree for his red blade, wired ad mentioned above.
    Are these good solutions?

-Second Question:
    What kind of battery should I use for these configurations?

Thank you very much

PS:If anyone have pics of some blades that uses GGW and RRW LEDs in series I would appreciate to see them.
    There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

I wouldn't use the white die for now. Leave it out of the series. (My only thoughts for now.)

Thank you for your answer!
    You think I should leave the white die out of the series for aeshetic or functional issues?

Two points I'd like to make.
    1. If you're using a buckpuck, you'll want a 7.4v battery, or a 4xAA battery holder.
    2. The tri-crees (even the red ones) can and should be run at 1000mA.

Definitely consider the li-ion option, as you'll be going through AA quickly. I see that you're located outside of the continental US, which makes shipping li-ion batteries directly from tcss difficult. You may want to look at jqsabers as potential source as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M4SCH1US View Post
    Thank you for your answer!
    You think I should leave the white die out of the series for aeshetic or functional issues?
    The white is really bright in comparison to the colored dies. It will wash out the color. I would just wire it separately for a future upgrade to Flash on Clash (FoC) but leave the wires from the white die unattached until you actually do so.

For viridian, you generally use one Green and one White die. So you'd use the GW, but leave the extra G unused in this case.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    For viridian, you generally use one Green and one White die. So you'd use the GW, but leave the extra G unused in this case.
    I've been told I'm color-blind, so listen to this guy instead, LOL.

LOL, thank you very much guys..

So I have to push the tri-cree to 1000mA, uh?

Regarding the battery: I was thinking to a LiPo battery used for Air-Soft guns (european producers, easy to ship). Is a 7,4v LiPo battery suitable for both 3-led series and 2-led series? And what about higher voltages?

Ty

You don't *have* to run it at 1000ma; you can technically run it at 700ma, or even 2000ma with adequate cooling. The buck will adjust the voltage, as long as the power source has enough to drive it. as for higher voltage batters, it all depends on the operational range of the buck puck. I.E. The 1000ma 4wire buckpuck on tcss has an input range between 5v and 32v, which is quite a wide spread. That also means that the 3.7v batteries won't power it.

Oops, I forgot to answer your question: Yes.