Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: >n00by catchy title goes here<

Quote Originally Posted by HugeC View Post
    Hey, so for my first saber I had a design kinda similar to yours with the same long choke:

Attachment 11323

Re: battery in choke, it is possible, but the fit will be tight. The resistor for the main LED is pretty big (at least the one I got was), and I actually broke the wires going to it the first time I tried to jam the blade holder on, had to re-solder everything. I ended up having to push the battery down into the threaded section a bit to make room for the resistor. I thought I would need to put some padding in there to keep the battery from bouncing around, but with the two LED wires in there it just barely fits.
    I was thinking of placing the resistors before the choke and battery so I can keep it closer to the heatsink.

As for the choke making it easy to spin, I thought it would too, but after using it for several weeks it seems about the same. I think if you just had a straight section instead of a choke you will find it handles just fine, plus you'll get some more room to put things in there.
    Yeah, but it still helps to fight that boring tubular design that I feel plagues so many sabers.

How are you going to get the speaker & chamber LED wires past the motorized section? If they won't thread through there somehow, seems like that might be a showstopper for you.
    I was thinking I could squeeze them between the 3D printed part and the MHS part and then stealthily run them directly underneath the MHS metal, maybe holding them there with hot glue. I'll have to ask Ammnra how he did his since he surely had to find a way around this same dilemma.

I know what it's like to be totally excited about your design, but it looks like it's going to be really hard to make it work. I was so excited for my saber that I found it impossible to heed the advice of the vets on this board, and luckily my saber works, but it could easily have gone the other way, plus I can never open it up again without a lot of work (so no changing the sound font for me). If you can get excited about a slightly longer saber with more room, that'd be my advice, because the space really disappears fast! Also I really wish I had done an internal chassis in mine, so definitely check that out.
    Yeah, you guys are right. After drawing out all the wiring I need to do, I can see how this'll become a huge headache. I'll try to go for a 13.5" saber. I'm not too worried about having to open my saber up. I'll be happy with picking one sound font I like and sticking with it. I'd also like a chassis. I'd also like a battery indicator and a lock-up button but I don't see any of those as being entirely useful or necessary, plus they take up extra space when my goal this whole time has been to cut back.
    Last edited by Darth Wumbo; 05-11-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Don't worry about having to tone down your first saber. It's hard to stop at just one, and the skills you get from this build will make your subsequent sabers all the better.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Wumbo View Post
    Yeah, but it still helps to fight that boring tubular design that I feel plagues so many sabers.
    Boring is a matter of opinion, I have done designs that are considered Simple and Elegant, intricate, and downright lethal looking. It's all in the skill of the designer.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Wumbo View Post
    I was thinking I could squeeze them between the 3D printed part and the MHS part and then stealthily run them directly underneath the MHS metal, maybe holding them there with hot glue. I'll have to ask Ammnra how he did his since he surely had to find a way around this same dilemma.
    Yeah I guess it must be possible, 'cause even if you put it near the blade, you'd still have to run the main LED wires past it.

I hear what you're saying on the look, I felt the same. You can make it work for sure, just maybe not with everything else you've got planned on there.

Hey, what battery did you use? The one in your diagram looks shorter than the 18500 I was going to use. Would the shorter 3.7V 18650 be able to get the job done instead of the 7.4V 18500?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Don't worry about having to tone down your first saber. It's hard to stop at just one, and the skills you get from this build will make your subsequent sabers all the better.
    Oh, I know the feeling. I'm already thinking of my next build which may involve PVC, EL tape, and lots of chrome. Though, I really like this design and perhaps I'll come back to it and refine it after getting some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Boring is a matter of opinion, I have done designs that are considered Simple and Elegant, intricate, and downright lethal looking. It's all in the skill of the designer.
    I understand, I'm just not a fan of the look of a straight tube with extra bits glued on. In my opinion, it all adds up to look like a mess. I'm trying to cut the clutter and keep this saber as essential as possible. I know others may not be a fan of my design and say that it's boring or it's missing features and that's fine. It's all opinion.