Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red lightsaber

Default Red lightsaber

So I built a red lightsaber. It was to be for a local fellow, buddy of mine who wanted to be "Sithy" I put some parts together, got a SB, did the work. Mostly for free, all the parts were purchased basically by him.
    In the end, his choice was a Red saber I had done awhile back and had sitting around. We are both pretty happy and I got to keep a freshly built lightsaber I got a bit greedy, thought maybe I would sell it. Then after some thought today, I came to the idea that I should just keep it and repurpose the guts to a new hilt. But after staring at it most of the night, I came to the conclusion that "built is built". My own way of saying "don't break down that hilt you just spent that amount of time and energy on"
    So here's the hilt I built, and the specs :
    • PC 3.5
    • Tri-Cree RRW, white as FOC
    • All MHS parts
    • TCSS chassis system
    • 7.4 Lit-ion battery
    • 2 watt bass speaker

• Pictures

A video :

So here's is where an opinion from you guys would be handy. Personally I like the main body, and the pommel. What I'm no sold on is the BH. After doing some more review, I'm thinking of doing a different one, maybe BH
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...e-12-P294.aspx
    Or this one
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...e-24-P743.aspx
    My last idea was to do this one
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...e-26-P844.aspx
    So I'm keeping the hilt in my armory, but thought doing a BH change out may hit the mark for me. So I'd like to hear any thoughts or suggestions from you

Very nice! I built a sweet graflex inspired red saber (all MHS) running PC 2.0 and a deep red rebel. Of course it has rice and a recharge port. I'm going to weather it soon, it's far too shiny. Very nice weathering you did there, what method did you use?

I personally am a HUGE fan of style 24 (the middle of your two links), which reminds me of a mix between OT Obi wan and Darth Maul styles. I think that one would look the best out of the three you are thinking about.

I like it the way it is, but maybe BH27? Gets a little meaty without being chunky. I really like 26, too; it stays with the streamline feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    Very nice! I built a sweet graflex inspired red saber (all MHS) running PC 2.0 and a deep red rebel. Of course it has rice and a recharge port. I'm going to weather it soon, it's far too shiny. Very nice weathering you did there, what method did you use?

I personally am a HUGE fan of style 24 (the middle of your two links), which reminds me of a mix between OT Obi wan and Darth Maul styles. I think that one would look the best out of the three you are thinking about.
    For the weathering I used the "paint and bake method" a few coats of black and some varying degrees of sand paper, then bake in the oven (this case toaster oven). then clear coat a couple layers, then the oven again. It ends up almost like powder coat.
    Here's a link to paint and bake tut
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...aking-Tutorial

I like the sleek look, and its funny that you have the same blade holder i used. However for my taste, I don't think it works well on this saber. The diameter of the parts is too similar and it doesn't offer enough contrast. If I were going to change the blade holder on this saber I would actually go with something that narrows it more rather than less and keep the sleek look of it. Something like one of these.

Saber_render.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MrDublin View Post
    I like the sleek look, and its funny that you have the same blade holder i used. However for my taste, I don't think it works well on this saber. The diameter of the parts is too similar and it doesn't offer enough contrast. If I were going to change the blade holder on this saber I would actually go with something that narrows it more rather than less and keep the sleek look of it. Something like one of these.

Saber_render.jpg
    Okay that's pretty cool. I like how it sleeks down the upper part of the hilt. Though I've been messing with the idea of a shroud. I'm definitely keeping this in the front of my brain. Thanks for the input.

Nice. Yeah I like the way as is as well but also the look with blade holder 26. Would give a meaner look I think
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

I also like it how it stands but if I had to change to one of your above choices I think I would like bh 12, but I think you did a great job as is.

Looks great as is. That blade holder is my personal favorite. I really like how it sounds with the extra holes you machined in the pommel.

So I came to the conclusion that someone else should handle what to decide for a BH on this hilt. Its currently looking for a new home. I emptied it and I'm re-tasking the guts to a new saber. Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I will definitely keep them all in mind on my next build.
    Speaking of, I should have a new hilt to show soon but I'll start a new thread for that one.