Thread: First Build ~ Some Questions and Need Some Advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Build ~ Some Questions and Need Some Advice

I've been gathering some questions together, some stuff I just need verified; other's I haven't been able to find much information on (or I just don't know what to search for).

First off, I've ordered the parts for making either of these stunt-sabers (no sound/FoC etc - just the main LED and an illuminated switch):

(Not sure which saber I'll go with til I've actually compared them in person; but I'm edging towards the non-choke design)

So, on with the questions:
    1) What's the best battery solution for traveling/conventions/trooping? I imagine carrying some spare AA/AAA batteries (or buying them from a corner store) is much easier than using an 18650/lithium battery - but from what I can see, the performance in an 18650 majorly outweighs the ease of AA/AAA? Just after some advice/opinions here.

2) Regardless of which battery setup I end up choosing - is there a way to create an isolated circuit to the LED? (maybe with a small switch?)
    When I'm not bringing my saber to the VII premiere, I'll be displaying it, so if it's possible I'd like to be able to plug the saber in directly to power; completely isolated from charging or going near the batteries. (If so, how would this be done?)

3) Can a Dremel (3000 series specifically) be used to drill retention screw/switch/mounting holes into the Aluminium MHS parts? If so, what sort of drill-bit would I need? Also would I need something like the '220-01 workstation'? I've got the Dremel specifically to help build the saber (new to them). I assume I'd need an 8/32 bit (which from what I can tell is .7mm?) for the retention screws/fixing the sleeve to the hilt; but I haven't been able to find one at my local (Australian) hardware store? Also how would a larger switch hole be made? (A larger bit?)

4) I'm going to be building a cyan/light blue saber - I've noticed a few links to other suppliers of the LED modules (such as ledsupply and luxeon star) and have decided to go with a custom rebel 'cyan/cyan/royal-blue' LED. My partner however, wants a purple saber. I've seen some people with UV LEDs, royal blue/royal blue/red LED's, 'just' royal blue LEDs; there doesn't seem to be a 'main' way of doing this. At the moment I'm thinking of just getting the custom tri-cree with Red/Royal blue/Royal blue, and just wanted some opinions on if this is the best way to get a purple blade.

5) Just a general question - what are some handy/useful things to have on the workbench when making these sabers that isn't immediately obvious? I've been watching all of Robs video's on the TCSS youtube page (I can't thank you enough Madcow/Rob) and am very envious of all the toys he has at his disposal. My current project is actually dividing my garden shed in two, weather-proofing it, and setting up a little work-area in there! So I'm compiling some handy bits for it.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by CharcoaI; 05-06-2015 at 09:51 AM.