Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Design Critique

Blog Entries

Default Design Critique

Hi All,

New to the forum. I wanted to get opinions on the design below while I scour the forums learning. The general plan for the saber is to have blade and sound, mostly display, I may run down the block swinging it at 1am a few times but no dueling.

At this stage, I'm interested in opinions and/or suggestions on the aesthetic. It will most likely receive a nice aging and is meant to be more so on the Dark Side. Color in the image is not final.

I do understand that I'll need to make adjustments once I figure out the guts of it. I have built sink tube sabers with electronics (hilt LEDs, no blade or sound) in the past, so I feel I can move onto something more in depth.

Have at it and don't feel you need to be nice.

chasm_LS_v1.jpg

So far, so good. It will depend on what you decide to put inside. I am curious as to what all of the circles are. I have a good idea of what they are, but I want to hear it from you.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Thanks for the input.

Preliminary planning for fasteners and controls so I can get a sense of what's going on...and in. I don't recall but I don't believe they are entirely accurate size-wise. The three smallest holes are blade retention, and shroud fasteners. Other holes are main switch, aux switch, recharge, and R.I.C.E. Like you said, depends on what I eventually do inside, so I may have to move and/or delete as needed.

Yeah, the "whats" are important, as will be the "where" in that design. if those bigger holes are switches, as it stands right now, they wouldn't fit, depending on the switch type.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Blog Entries

Definitely a concern. I'll have to do more digging on switch dimensions etc.

My aim is to avoid activation boxes and to get the switches as high up the hilt as possible. While I love the look of the boxes, I don't find them practical for a gripping surface. Perhaps I could offset the holes a bit. I'm not hell bent on their centers being aligned.

Once again, thanks for you feedback. Much appreciated.

Force Aware
    Blog Entries

I worry about shrouds over choke sections. Great way to get your finger pinched. It looks great, otherwise. I like the emitter

Blog Entries

Interesting and valid point Zach. I hadn't thought of that.

I was trying to get some visually interesting details up near the emitter. Maybe moving the vent holes up and only shrouding the emitter is the way to go. I'll have to think on it some.

Thanks for the input.

I like it, though the rear shroud work will be a challenge.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Blog Entries

Very true.

I figure I have a few options there. I'm leaning toward option 1 so I can get the best piece possible.

1. Ask TCSS to machine it for me
    2. Sink tube + Dremel
    3. PVC + Dremel
    4. 3D Print