Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Design Critique

Actually, I don't think that the curving shroud shroud be too bad. The last few shrouds I've done have had strong curving elements (if you want I can send you the links via the board messenger so they don't clutter up the thread)and a lot of the trick that I use is just having a good template (learned from all the generous posters here and elsewhere. The card board "holder tube" on the inside of a toilet paper roll is almost an exact fit for the MHS shroud material so I draw the template there and then mirror the one side so it's symmetrical and away I go...) and that the flex shaft (or dremel) is just for taking it close to the design lines not for cutting exactly to the template. After that, it's just using files and being patient. I've never had good luck using the sink tubes for shrouds but that is just an aesthetic choice, but the shroud material that Tim sells works well, it just takes patience. One could also use a large miter box and a hack saw which I often do for a 45 degree precise angle and that isn't bad either. A little sweat equity but it's so very cool when you finally finish up the shroud yourself that I think it's worth it. I'd say give it a try for yourself and if you run into major trouble (and I certainly have so far on some builds) then see if anyone here can help. Also, I know you like the new version but I really like the first design too, maybe we can convince you to do both. Great designs! Good luck.

P.S. Madcow has a video on making shrouds that should take a lot of the worry out of trying one.

Blog Entries

Hi Johannes,

I'd definitely like to see what you have.

Funny, I was RE-watching all of Madcow's videos last night. I've made shrouds in the past in the same way you've described with sink tube and pvc. Same thing, time and patience and the result is not bad, but definitely not ideal. The problem now is that I am very limited on space and tools... tiny NYC apartment. Thats why I'm leaning toward TCSS doing it for me. Yeah it will add cost, but I'm sure to get a great piece out of it.

I still like the first design and may try it one day, but I think this new one may be a little easier for me for a first go at sound.

I'm actually in the middle of revising the second design. I've started mapping out the internals and am getting a good sense of how things can POSSIBLY fit, so Im replacing the 1.15" ID grooved extension with a 1.25" ID blank that I'll ask TCSS to do similar to Hilt Style 3. This way, I can utilize the chassis disc system in the rear hilt. And rather than the activation box, I'm going for two tiny tactile switches utilizing this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...ring-P897.aspx to achieve my original goal of minimal obstructions.

This is definitely a process but I'm loving it!