Thread: Newer Hasbro economy sound question

Default Newer Hasbro economy sound question

Hi all. Hopefully I am placing this question in the right place. If not, please forgive me!

I was in Target the other day, saw the $19.99 sabers, and thought of adding sound to my current build. Right now it's a LED only stunt saber, with innards all from TCSS ...

Thing is, the tutorials I've seen seem to be of the 2010 or earlier models. Has anyone tried using the boards from recent sabers, say the Yoda clone wars or the Kanan rebels saber? Also, is the Darth Vader economy board the same as the 2010 model? I didn't want to end up with a board that didn't have a tutorial here or on Youtube.

Thanks for all your help. You are an awesome bunch of builders!

FencerScott

I've used a roughly one-year old Hasbro board in my last saber. From a Darth Vader saber iirc. The board was nearly identical in connections to the 2010 Hasbro board, just physically a different shape and laid out a little differently.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

But it is still pretty easy to figure out the layout and solder in the new led, speaker, transistor, etc?

Generally, yes. The labels on the boards aren't too hard to decipher. So even if something is moved around, you shouldn't have too hard of a time figuring out which pad is which.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks, Silver and BZWingZero. This really helps a lot!