Thread: Acrylic vibroblade

Default Acrylic vibroblade

Hey guys,

I couldn't find an answer to this on the forum so hopefully you guys can help me out.
    So I want to make a "vibroblade" type blade for my lightsaber. I heard they were made out of acrylic.

Here are some examples:
    http://rippergary.wix.com/rippersabe...ersabers/c21jb

fddfb1_4ed7063332cb41c7ba4bdb9d995dea1a.jpgfddfb1_314d9fb202a648b6bd33a708a8a29db6.jpgfddfb1_d9fb1cf54b2f4fef8f9c3c2db988b2a5.jpgfddfb1_f239458f3c6c4388997d36b32440367f.jpgScreen Shot 2015-04-26 at 11.09.50 AM.jpg

My questions:
    1. Is it actually made out of acrylic?
    2. What is the best way to cut acrylic? Is there any good tutorials someone can refer me to?
    3. How would I go about doing the etching on the blade? He does it really clean.

Thanks!
    Skyflipper

Personally, I would use polycarbonate, which is 10 times as strong as acrylic, and also easier to work with.

A hack saw works well for straight cuts in polycarbonate, although i would recommend a band-saw if you have access to one.

I have seen people etch//engrave polycarbonate blades using small diamond dremel bits, which can produce nice, clean results if you have a steady hand.
    "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whomever drinks the water I give him will never thirst."

Acrylic is used because it transfers the light better and brighter than poly. However these blades are for show only and will be damaged by the slightest blow, especially the sharp edges. Also scratches easily. So in short these blades are pretty but not mentioned for much else other than to just look cool. As far as cutting goes I actually use slot of acrylic on a daily basis and saws work fine. I use routers to shape. Sand to final shape. Buff to clear again
    The designs can be masked then blasted/sanded, or laser etched. Or with a careful hand and some skill dremelled into the blade. Probably not how most make them but that is what I do when I make custom pieces for work.

I don't want to get off topic, but I have come across a few YouTube videos of people heating and flattening PVC pipe to make bows and other items. I was wondering if anyone has tried this with the PolyC tubing to achieve a flattened blade? Not sure if this would help you get a flattened blade while maintaining the extra strength of the PolyC. Just a thought...

@DarthMace
    Thank you! That was extremely useful.