Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Saber Exchange

Force Aware

Default The Great Saber Exchange

I'm supposed to be up in 6 hours, so I figured now would be a good time to think about community events. xD>
    I want some honest feedback here.

Would anyone think it to be enjoyable if saber builders all made sabers for the purpose of anonymously exchanging them with other builders in a sort of large event?

Imagine getting to build a saber, solely to showcase physically to someone receiving it as a sort of gift, in exchange for a random saber from another builder. With your saber that you put up for exchange, you can provide some back story about its design and yourself as a builder.

Now, imagine being a new builder and how inspiring it would be to receive a hilt from an extremely experienced sabersmith and getting to read about them and how they come up with their techniques and designs?

Even as a long-time sabersmith, I'm sure a participant could appreciate getting ahold of a hilt that perhaps inspires them, as well.

My thoughts are that this event could really bring parts of the community together in a way different than just message boards and the occasional convention. It combines the insight of other artists, the generosity of others and their talents, and the fun of a complete gamble on what saber/sabersmith you may be receiving.

Thoughts, revisions, questions, and criticisms are welcome here! >

I think its a neat idea, but would need a bit of micromanagement/classifications to be successful probably. For instance I wouldn't want to send off a MHS hilt with a NB and get a sink tube stunt/empty in return. Maybe have participants sign up to contribute a certain level of saber and receive something similar in return (any extra bells and whistles a sabersmith includes would be a bonus at their discretion).

Off the top of my head I think a good general breakdown would be:

Empty/PVC - Cheap and fun way to participate, encourages more/different designs.
    Stunt - I could see combining this with empty metal sabers and leaving PVC sabers in a category by themselves.
    Saber w/ sound - Requires at least a NB or Naigon's entry level board (spark?).

Where do prefab/stock saber designs fit in? Like Madcow's Ascend or the hilts from sites that shall not be named. I could see allowing them because not every one is a builder that might like to participate, but it might be disappointing to send off a custom saber and get something that is pretty easy to order yourself if you really like it.

Would there need to be a third party to ship all finished sabers to and randomize the exchange? Would make shipping costs a little higher but would ensure a more even turn around if as sabers were received they were paired off and shipped to people who had just contributed. I suppose this could also be accomplished without shipping to the third party and just PMing an organizer as your saber is complete, then when another of the same level is ready that organizer can provide both parties with the others address.

This would be a fun event.

Force Aware

I definitely think a third party would at least be partially necessary to set some categories/requirements like you stated. I think fitting categories would be stunt, sound (with varying levels of price i.e. econosoundboards, NBs, and others), and belthangers.

It would seem to me that a third party should receive the initial sabers, make sure they function, and then send them out to the randomized participants. This way, nobody has to worry about giving out their address to strangers and nobody will end up getting a saber after not sending theirs out in the first place.

This sounds like an awesome idea. It'd give those of us who are terribly procrastinators a reason to get off of our shebse and do something productive. Provided that finances are right at the time, I'd totally be down for a sound equipped saber. I've got an NB that I need to install in something. If finances aren't right, then I'm definitely down for a PVC.
    Last edited by MandoJoe; 04-27-2015 at 04:17 AM.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

i like the idea, but (and i'm just thinking of the logistics here) another possible issue with this would be the forward postage after the sabers get shuffled. you would have to include extra costs for the shipping. for instance, once it gets shipped to the person that will allocate the sabers to the next random person there will be a lot of shipping fees to get those sabers out. so there should be a blanket fee sent with the saber to cover the second leg of the postage. it could be like an entrance fee to participate or something, and if there's any money left over after the sabers are shipped it could either go to the person doing all the shipping as kind of a payment of services, or it could be donated to one of the local charities, or divide it up between the participants.

Interesting.....

One potential issue - curiosity is likely to play a role here, and I'm sure that people who have constructed sabers would prefer the recipient to avoid... ahem... disassembly if the saber appears to be complex in construction. Ideally, the saber should come with a sheet of instructions and preferences from the smith...
    LOCKHEED

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    Interesting.....

One potential issue - curiosity is likely to play a role here, and I'm sure that people who have constructed sabers would prefer the recipient to avoid... ahem... disassembly if the saber appears to be complex in construction. Ideally, the saber should come with a sheet of instructions and preferences from the smith...
    I have avoided chiming in on this until now, but cannibal has it right. There would be many issues with this, past what have been mentioned so far. I know what the intent is, but it really isn't a practical thing to do, for any number of reasons - some have been mentioned, some have not, and some I won't even bother delving in to.

I can see that this is an attempt to learn and all, but it could go very wrong in a hurry, and honestly I think it would be unrealistic to expect very experienced builders, or saber smiths to participate in this.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Force Aware

It clearly wouldn't be an easily achieved event, and a lot of precautions and systems need to be set in place, though I don't find it to be impossible whatsoever. If experienced smiths wouldn't join then that's a shame. What's apparent in this thread is that there is at least a small amount of curiosity and interest in the idea. That being said, I have no clue who would be able to put in the effort to manage this, because there is no way I'd even remotely have the resources to do it myself.

Yeah, well based on your original post, and some of your original goals, I'll have to disagree.

If the smiths won't join in, it's not necessarily a shame, it's could be more a case of common sense from their perspective, especially given what has gone on within the community as of late. And because you are mentioning some saber builders that essentially have been banned and shunned by the community, I think I can confidently say that no "major players" within the community would even allow it, I know for sure I absolutely wouldn't.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com