Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PVC saber first build.

Default PVC saber first build.

Hi everyone, here is the first saber build I am in the process of completing as a birthday present for my daughter. She keeps bringing home Star Wars books from her school library and ESB is one of her favorite movies so at least I know I am raising her right . So after reading, and reading, and reading, (shout out to all the people that take the time to post all the great information on these forums), and drawing I finally came up with a simple design that hopefully she will be super happy with. Last night I started working on the shroud. Next step, sanding. Lots of sanding.
    IMG_0035.jpgIMG_0036.jpgIMG_0037.jpgIMG_0040.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

I love the shroud design and looks like a pretty solid job cutting it out too. I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Is that 1" pipe you are making the main hilt out of?

Thank you, and yes it is 1" pvc for the main housing.

Force Aware

I'm excited to see what you can do! I love seeing good pvc builds.

I was able to make some more progress on the hilt. After lots of sanding, I got the switch holes drilled in the shroud and main hilt body. Also drilled some holes in the pommel for the sound to pass through. After a quick dry fit, gave everything another light sand and took a it apart for painting.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

While the first coat of paint is drying, I started working on the electronics. Basically just wired up the led and planning on how things are going to fit in the hilt. I used a copper pluming end cap as a heat sink and holder. The sound board is a Hasbro I salvaged from an old Qui-Gon cheapo saber.

IMG_0122.JPGIMG_0124.jpgIMG_0125.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (87.1 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (86.0 KB, 39 views)
    Last edited by Aikiguy; 05-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Here is a test fit after the first coat dried. There were a couple spots that needed a touch up, but overall I'm pretty happy with the color. Now I'm just waiting for the second coat to dry.

IMG_0126.jpgIMG_0127.jpg

Just curious what size PVC you use for the whole thing?

It's just 1" pvc. The shroud is 1 1/8 I believe.

Very nice. I've looked into PVC at my local stores and they don't have a wide variety of diameters and there aren't any sizes that fit snugly over the next size down. It's unfortunate. Love what you're doing though. Super cool.