Thread: Stuck designing a hilt?

Default Stuck designing a hilt?

Hi all,

I'm really new to this but hoping to get into it.

My struggle at the moment is managing to design a hilt I like, that will incorporate the battery holder and switch box I want. Every time I get a design I like I realise that the battery holder won't fit into the extension or the switch box won't fit on that piece because it's too small. Has anyone else has this issue? I always end up coming back to 2 plain chunks with a pommel and blade holder on each end with a splitter in the middle. Is it not possible to do something a bit more decorative but still have functionality?

Sorry if this is a bit nooby, I'm just failing to get my head a round it :S

TIA, Adam

This is the problem we all deal with... you are not alone. You are one of us (one of us, one of us). It's why hilts grow to lengths only a giant could wield. It's why there are shrouds, etching, powder coating, paint, notching, reveals and custom work. Keep working on it, you'll get it. You can always post a design sketch and we'll offer "suggestions".

Oh, and welcome!

Thanks! I don't mind the longer hilted single saber. I think it's kinda cool. Though it makes me feel a bit like Dart Malak I guess!

Picture1.jpg

How does this look? Totally different from my original but hey. The plan is to have the 4xAA battery holder with mount in the bottom of the hilt, plus a switch and maybe a recharge port at the top.

That's, what, 14-1/2" long? My design opinion would be to swap out the two adapter sections and the pommel for a style 3v2 pommel to get a similar look that's 2" shorter; the smooth adapter section at the end seems odd. Obviously it's got to be there to transition the threads... You could inquire for some custom work and see if Tim could remove the threads and turn the adapter into a sleeve, then use an 8" double female section turned to match the groove pattern you show, and use the pointy pommel. Still long for my taste, but deals with the oddity. But that's just my opinion, and I don't know what your long term internal plan is. Just a stunt, or what?

Reduce, reduce and reduce.

Change the 4 AA adapter for a single or double 18650 cell. How much power do you need?

You're not thinking about handling, that saber is a hell of a long... Reduce Of course it's my opinion, you don't have to listen to me, but if you look my posts you'll see I'm always thinking of dueling, not just look.

Hi both, many thanks for your pointers! I have just reduced the pommel length to just the pointy end. It's easier, thank you! I think I have most of the parts I want on my wishlist now. Is there a way to share it?

More simple design and more effective. And you still have enough room to fit whatever you want

When you put the batteries inside the weight will be balanced, I'm quite sure of that.

Yes, you can share it. Go to your wish list and use the email wishlist button. Then you get a link to your own list you can use.

how tall are you? a hilt length can be big for some not so much for others. I'm 6'2 and a 14" hilt isn't unmanageable. However depending on you internals it can get heavy and if you are planning on actually using it quite a bit it can be hard on the wrists. It all depends on how you plan on using it, just for looks, occasionally swinging it around for fun, heavy dueling? I personally don't subscribe to a hilt having to be a certain shape or size, make it how you want it. Also more than likely your first one won't be you last one so don't fret too much.