Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Miraan...build log

Default Miraan...build log

Hello folks!

This thread is a build log of my new saber: Miraan. This is my fifth custom saber, second MHS build.
    I wanted a sturdy and elegant saber that has all the bells and whistles, while still being duel worthy. These criterion led me to select the Petit Crouton with a Color Xtender.
    The saber will have a crystal chamber, back-lit switches, and etched details/shroud.

The basic MHS hilt:
    DSC_0001.jpg

And some of the more important parts:
    DSC_0005.jpg

Here is the polycarbonate chassis discs (which will eventually be black, with gearing on the rim):
    DSC_0009.jpg

I managed to put the R.I.C.E. port into the V4 speaker holder (trying to minimize kram-fu...lol):
    DSC_0006.jpg

Custom Recharge port chassis disc...I'm really pleased with how this turned out:
    DSC_0007.jpg

EDIT: sorry for the small pictures. I'm not sure how to make them appear larger.
    Last edited by DarthMace; 04-14-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whomever drinks the water I give him will never thirst."

This is the chassis so far:
    DSC_0011.jpg

I did a little bit of etching on the MPS insert:
    DSC_0012.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the progress so far, although I won't be able to work on the saber much for the rest of the week. Also, I'm still waiting on my soundboard from Plector Labs, so that will slow things down a bit.
    "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whomever drinks the water I give him will never thirst."

Looking good so far.
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

Very cool you got the rice to fit in that speaker holder.Im liking how the chassis is shaping out .

You must be using a flat speaker right? No way a 2watt bass would fit?
    Last edited by Star Bird; 04-15-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    I can light a small city with my board

Quote Originally Posted by Star Bird View Post
    Very cool you got the rice to fit in that speaker holder.Im liking how the chassis is shaping out .

You must be using a flat speaker right? No way a 2watt bass would fit?
    Yes, I'm using a 2W premium speaker from TCSS, which is only 5.5mm thick. There won't be much space left, though it should fit if my measurements are correct.

Got some more work done tonight, although I sliced my finger open on the drill press. You know what they say about "blood, sweat, and tears"...blood..check

Wired up the R/G/RB Cree LED. I wish my multi-colored wire had come today, but oh-well, plain red and white works alright.
    DSC_0002.jpg

Here is the power switch rig:
    DSC_0003.jpg

I also hooked up a pseudo PLI, which will have a random pattern driven by the accent pads on the PC.
    DSC_0004.jpg

I built a tiny crystal setup, which has a RGB LED underneath, so it can mirror the blade color:
    DSC_0009.jpg

Finally managed to cut out the rest of the battery chassis discs and spacer tubes:
    DSC_0007.jpg
    Last edited by DarthMace; 04-20-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Got some work done over the past few days.

Cut out the shroud, and textured it with my unscratchable technique:
    DSC_0001.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice...
    DSC_0002.jpg

Here is the custom-machined brass buttons. The aux. switch button is slightly higher than the power button (top).
    DSC_0005.jpg

I drilled and tapped the blade retention screw hole, and drilled the brass tubing holes:
    DSC_0003.jpg

Top view: ( I haven't filed off the tops of the rods yet, or glued them in, so they are a bit uneven)
    DSC_0004.jpg

Pictured below is some of the extra greeblies I added to the crystal chamber.
    DSC_0009.jpg

There is a green laser module, with half the circuit left on it, in the middle of the chamber. A large power resistor is soldered to both the laser and a brass tube that connects to the mini crystal (not pictured). I also soldered a small LED to the brass tube and pointed it at the laser circuit. Above the pseudo PLI is a glass fuse that has red wire wrapped around it:
    DSC_0009.jpg

Here is the complete hilt so far:
    DSC_0006.jpg

And a better picture of the shroud:
    DSC_0007.jpg

I'm digging the extra brass rods on the emitter. Looking good there!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Also digging the emitter!
    I can light a small city with my board